The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

My Favorite Books of 2023

Ah, my favorite post of the year has come again. 2023 was probably one of the best years of my life. I had the greatest time in college, meeting new people, trying new things, going to new places, and having so much fun. At the same time, I went through a lot emotionally and academically to the point where I questioned my entire future. The year went by incredibly fast and I had less and less time to read books, which was so unfortunate for me. I basically had something to do every single day, be it work or homework or a club event or class, so reading was more of a once in a while thing. 

In 2024, I hope to read more and try out new genres. In the meantime, here are my favorite books of 2023, as usual.

******************

FANTASY

Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros - *****
An astonishing read, something that I didn't expect to love even though the entire world obsessed over it. 

Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare - *****
Loved it as usual, even this second time around. 

Chain of Thorns by Cassandra Clare - *****
Absolutely adored, another banger by Cassie Clare herself.


MEMOIR

I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy - *****
I don't read many memoirs, but this one was satirical and witty, depressing and masochistic.


ROMANCE

The Right Move by Liz Tomforde - *****
Arguably my favorite book of the year; definitely my favorite romance of 2023.

Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston - ******
The book that introduced me to adult romance, and a beautifully done read. The movie was epic.

The Fake Out by Stephanie Archer - ****
Fun, fresh, exciting, and almost a five stars except for one scene.

Yours Truly by Abby Jimenez - ****
SO incredibly fun, insightful, and a beautiful diorama of the trauma of anxiety. 

Behind the Net by Stephanie Archer - ****
Not as good as the second book, but fun nonetheless.

Spring Tide by Ki Stephens - ****
Cute, fun, easy to read, memorable, simple, delightful.


CLASSICS

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - *****
Potentially my favorite Jane Austen, which I know is a wild opinion. 

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - ******
This was my third go around. Need I say more?

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - ****
One of the only Dickens I can tolerate, though I doubt I'll ever pick this one up again.

An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde - ****
Will always love anything by Wilde. A wonderfully witty play.

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - ****
A very loving year for me and Jane Austen. 

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton - ****
Beautiful, whimsical, fun, and reeking of elitism.


LITERARY FICTION

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin - ****
Beautifully written, a tragic masterpiece, but too verbose at times.

Lie With Me by Philippe Besson - ****
Tragic and beautiful.


YOUNG ADULT

Heartbreakers & Fakers by Cameron Lund - *****
SUCH a fun YA romance, making me remember the joys of young adult.

The Do-Over by Lynn Painter - ****
Refreshingly and surprisingly fun and entertaining, despite the groundhogs day trope.


THRILLER

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides - ****
Kind of predictable but fun nonetheless.



***********

I'd say it was a successful year. Even though I only read 45 books, 55 short of my usual 100, I enjoyed a lot of new genres and authors. I want to get back into my classics era this year and read more, so stay tuned for more of those. 

Stay tuned for my year of reading in 2024. Hopefully, this one's a good one.


Comments