The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 
Genre: Classics

Blurb (on back of book): Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty.
In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind.

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: ******

I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly my favorite book of all time. Honestly, that's enough said right there but nevertheless, there is so much to say about this book that I will keep going.

I first read this book in 2020 literally right when lockdown started. I was in my "four-star phase" as I like to call it, where I rated basically every single book I read that I liked four stars. Even if I personally felt it deserved more, I didn't like to give out too many five-star ratings because I was in some sick mindset where I was trying to be like the readers who never ever rate anything five stars unless some godly being had written it. However, I personally choose to ignore my past rating. Even before I read the book a second time, I cited it as my favorite book of all time to anyone who cared enough to ask. 

Now, this time around, I read this book literally side by side with the uncensored version that I bought of this novel. The uncensored version is basically Oscar Wilde's original draft of the novel before his editors made him cut out anything that hinted at something vaguely "homoerotic" or "homosexual" (sigh). I absolutely loved the journey of reading these two versions side by side and seeing the differences (and there were way more changes than I was expecting). 

This version of the book includes Dorian Gray's lover's brother, who actually ends up playing a huge role in this story. He is the antagonist of the story and also helps Dorian come to terms with the horrific deeds he has committed and expose that guilt and shame eating away at his conscience. However, in the uncensored version, this character never existed. I found this very intriguing. For such an important character, the fact that he just did not exist in the original version was very interesting. It obviously made for a shorter book overall but since Wilde had had to cut out so many important passages hinting at the romance or deeper feelings between Dorian, Basil, and Lord Henry,  he obviously had to add something to make it a substantial read and I guess the brother just happened to be the perfect addition. 

I will talk more about the cut-out parts in my tiny review on the uncensored version.

I own several copies of this book (because it is my favorite) and the particular one I was reading from this time around I had bought used (thrifting books!). I am highly against annotating books personally (I love seeing other people writing in their books but I personally cannot mar my brand-new books like that) but since this one was used and not in the best condition, I wrote all over this one. 

I found myself highlighting every single passage (basically). Anything that Lord Henry said I was in awe. He managed to say the most profound things in short, simplistic sentences. I don't know how he did it. This book explores so many different themes, from morality to sin to beauty, and Lord Henry always manages to encapsulate whatever Oscar Wilde was trying to say in a beautifully-said, flowery, cynical way. 

I'm not going to go into the plot (as I literally have before and you can read a blurb) but the part that will never fail to twist and turn my mind around is the way that Dorian's painting so strongly symbolizes the wear and tear of sin, aging, and immorality on the otherwise untarnished beauty and youth of a young man (or woman). This entire idea of selling your soul and having a physical representation of the detriments that can do to you and your soul in a painting is incredibly fascinating to me. I love love love reading about how the painting changes and seeing how the still--physically-beautiful Dorian comes to terms with his appearance in contrast to his soul. I love seeing his journey as he spirals more and more and gradually becomes unhinged in every way imaginable. It's truly incredible. 

You can't help but love each and every character in this book, despite their flaws. Dorian starts out as a naive, innocent boy who gradually declines into an immoral, flawed, sinful man at the mercy of his own vanity. Lord Henry is cynical, negative, and the devil-on-the-shoulder kind of character and yet you can't help but be constantly floored by his language and supportive of his character. Basil is a tragic painter who just wants to succeed in making something of himself through his art, and he plays that angel-on-the-shoulder character (albeit much weaker in his influence than Lord Henry). You can't help but pity the poor man, who I personally felt loved Dorian much more than was considered "acceptable" by society at the time. 

If you know anything about Oscar Wilde, you'll know that his homosexual identity played a large role in his life and his fate. You can definitely see that interwoven in every conversation in this book between Dorian/Lord Henry and Dorian/Basil. It hints subtly at the deeper connections these men feel with Dorian while not outright stating anything (though the uncensored really helps clear that up for any of the rare minority who deny that this exists). Anyone who understands subtext can clearly see Basil is in love with Dorian (and I pity the poor fool who loves the sinner). 

Further, please do not speak to me if you can't see the obvious love between Dorian and Lord Henry. They were not just merely infatuated with each other's language... if you know what I mean. Lord Henry's character is so complex because he seems to represent such evil and sin and all the vices of men that Oscar Wilde struggled with.

I'm sorry but we honestly cannot be friends if you don't love this book. I will forever go down in history stating that this is the best book of all time and no one can tell me otherwise.

I would recommend this book to everyone. Even if you don't like classics (which honestly is a red flag...), I think this one is a very good intro to that realm without being overly complicated, long, or boring.  

Main Character: Dorian Gray
Sidekick(s): Lord Henry, Basil, etc
Villain(s): Sin, immorality, crime
Classics Elements: This book is the epitome of a real classic.

Comments