The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Mansfield Park - Jane Austen

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
Genre: Classics

Blurb (on back of book): Taken from the poverty of her parents' home in Portsmouth, Fanny Price is brought up with her rich cousins at Mansfield Park, acutely aware of her humble rank and with her cousin Edmund as her sole ally. During her uncle's absence in Antigua, the Crawford's arrive in the neighbourhood bringing with them the glamour of London life and a reckless taste for flirtation. Mansfield Park is considered Jane Austen's first mature work and, with its quiet heroine and subtle examination of social position and moral integrity, one of her most profound.


MY OPINION: ****

This is my last and final of Austen's completed, main novels. I felt a strong sense of accomplishment when I finished this one (finally) and while it wasn't my favorite of hers, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I listened to it on audiobook so it definitely took a shorter amount of time than it would have taken me if I was reading it on paper but it still took longer than anticipated.

This is definitely not the typical Jane Austen romance you'd expect if you, like me, were to dive right in without any background knowledge. While there is an underlying romance subplot, it is by no means the main focus of Fanny Price's story and for once, I enjoyed that. It felt very refreshing, especially since I've spent the past year or so trying to get through all of Austen. 

I definitely wasn't a fan of the cousins-falling-in-love trope but I've learned with Austen, it's better to pretend you're seeing nothing. 

Edmund was honestly not my favorite male lead. He was very moralistic, down-to-earth, and adhered to any and all rules with absolutely no spark within him leading him to rebel. I suppose since he was actively trying to become a priest or whatever, it makes sense, but it made him very boring and dry. I had no interest in that man or the relationship he was building with Fanny (or his other lady). He and Mary had more chemistry than he and Fanny did but I think that's just me. 

Fanny also is not the basic feminist icon that I feel like a lot of Austen's protagonists kind of aspire to be (take Elizabeth's outspokenness). While I wouldn't say it was the most admirable character to read about, I enjoyed seeing this take and getting to see the regency-era world through Fanny's eyes. She, like Edmund, holds very traditional and conservative values that, while frustrating at times, was very different from what I'm used to reading, especially considering how active I am in the contemporary lit genre. 

Fanny is both physically and mentally "weak" in a way that makes her very interesting for a modern-day character study. Her drawbacks and her "stick-like" behavior add to what Austen was trying to get across within this novel, and while it was tiresome to hear about how delicate and frail she was, it was integral to the overarching story. 

The book is honestly more of a step back from the drama and romance that we're used to in an Austen novel and a deep dive into the society and its foundations. We see interesting perspectives on class, rank, wealth, and reputation, and how all of those factors play a role in creating relationships and familial bonds with the people in the vicinity. There's an entire section devoted to the potential performance of a "morally-wrong" play, which, while a little boring to read about after a while, really highlights what Austen was trying to comment on. 

TBH, I kind of liked Henry better than Edmund, but based on everything Austen tried to portray in this novel, it made a lot of sense for the final relationship to be the way it was. However, I liked the "reforming the bad boy" trope (or whatever it would be called in 19th century terminology) and wished we could have gotten a more satisfying ending for that man. He wasn't my favorite but he deserved better. 

Honestly, for this one, I kind of feel like you have to just look past the incestuous and creepy romance and focus more on the social commentary. Otherwise, it can be a very unsettling piece of literature. I'd still recommend picking it up, but don't expect the classic Austen-esque romance we all know and love.

Main Character: Fanny
Sidekick(s): Edmund, family, etc
Villain(s): Social rank, Henry (I guess), etc
Classics Elements: This book is a classic literary masterpiece.

Comments