The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Right Move - Liz Tomforde

The Right Move by Liz Tomforde
Genre: Romance/Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): RYAN
She’s a distraction, that’s what she is.
I’m the newest Captain of the Devils, Chicago’s NBA team, and the last thing I needed this year was for Indy Ivers, my sister’s best friend, to move into my apartment. She’s messy, emotional, and way too tempting.
But when the team’s General Manager vocalizes his blatant disapproval of my promotion to Captain, referring to me as an unapproachable lone wolf with no work-life balance, I can’t think of a better way to convince him otherwise than pretending to date my outgoing roommate.
The only problem? Faking it feels far too natural.
Having a fake girlfriend wasn’t supposed to be messy but having Indy under my roof and in my bed is complicated, especially when she wants all the romantic parts of life that I could never give her.


INDY
I never imagined I’d be living with my best friend’s brother, NBA superstar Ryan Shay. Even more unbelievable? He needs me to act as his loving girlfriend who’s suddenly changed him into a friendly and approachable guy.
Because, well…he’s not. He’s controlling of his space and untrusting of others.
Our arrangement isn’t one-sided, though. I’m in a wedding coming up, one where every one of my childhood friends, including my ex-boyfriend, will be in attendance, and there’s no better date than my ex’s celebrity hero.
Blurred lines make it almost impossible to separate real from fake. Falling for my roommate was never part of the deal, especially when Ryan is quick to remind me that he doesn’t believe in love.
I’m a romantic and can’t help fantasizing that he’ll change, but soon enough, I find myself questioning if sharing a roof with my best friend’s brother was the right move after all.

MY OPINION: *****

This is SO much better than the first book, which already wasn't too bad. I loved this book and I ate it up so fast. It's a good 500 pages and yet I finished it in a day because of how addicting it was. I highly highly recommend even if you didn't like the previous one. It can also be read as a standalone but it's just nice to have read the first one to catch on to the cameos and references. 

Ryan is the star basketball player of Chicago's NBO team and is constantly aware of his image and good reputation. He is determined not to do anything to mess it up, living alone in a prison of an apartment and not dating anyone. However, when he's made captain of the team, his coach tells him he needs to be more personable and less like a machine in order to be a better team player, leading him to lie that he currently is in a relationship with Indy, the new girl who just moved into his apartment. 

Cue the fake dating trope. 

Indy is a flight attendant mentioned in the previous book as Stevie's best friend. She just got out of a six year relationship with a childhood friend who she caught cheating on her and she still cannot seem to heal from that trauma. However, she has nowhere to go and ends up moving in with Stevie's brother Ryan. 

I LOVE the tropes rampant in this book, from forced proximity to fake dating. I loved it so much. It sped by so fast and I was obsessed with it through and through. I loved both Ryan and Indy. Ryan was a perfect book boyfriend and I loved how Indy kept mentioning her favorite parts of her book boyfriends and seeing Ryan trying to emulate that ideal. It was everything a girl can only dream about. Indy was so strong and persevering through her heartbreak, and I liked seeing the dichotomy between her bubbly outside persona and the heartbroken, suffering inner self. It was really well-written and I wish it kept going because I loved it so much. 

I love the idea of "soft love" and not being loud about your feelings. I feel like I am more of that kind of person, showing my love in other ways than just saying "I love you." Ryan was such a perfect quiet lover and it was so amazing to watch that because although it's literally the bare minimum, it's so rare in reality to find a man who will learn ASL to communicate with his girl's parents or refrigerate his girl's coffee every morning because he knows she likes it iced. Like, hello?

The book deals with a lot of different issues but all of them are handled delicately and with attention and care to the point where you can tell that the writer really understood what she was talking about. I didn't feel like there was too much plot armor or cheesy moments, and even the cheesy moments were fun. I loved this book, I just can't explain it. 

Both Ryan and Indy help each other in so many ways, and their chemistry was undeniable. I loved it so much. 

There were some lines that were just TOO cheesy, like the "I am like other girls" part, but it did make me laugh. I cannot wait to read the rest of this series as it comes out because I just know it'll be good. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a good sports romance. 

Main Character: Indy, Ryan
Sidekick(s): Friends, family
Villain(s): Cheating, heartbreak, hiding, media, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments