The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen *UPDATED UPDATED REVIEW*

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Genre: Classics

Blurb (on back of book):
Spirited Elizabeth Bennet is one of a family of five daughters, and with no male heir, the Bennet estate must someday pass to their priggish cousin William Collins. Therefore, the girls must marry well—and thus is launched the story of Elizabeth and the arrogant bachelor Mr. Darcy, in a novel renowned as the epitome of romance and wit. Pride and Prejudice is Jane Austen’s masterwork, an entertaining portrait of matrimonial rites and rivalries, timeless in its hilarity and its honesty.

UPDATED UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: ******

So I am unbelievably late to writing this review (like 2 months late). It's been the longest and roughest semester of my life so far and the only thing that got me through these last couple of months were rereading this wondrous adventure of a book. There is nothing I will ever love more than Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet and I will never tire of reading this novel over and over and watching the 2005 film + BBC TV show a hundred times. 

This is going to be a short and sweet review because by now we should all know my thoughts on P&P. I reread it on a whim when I was at work via audiobook because it's one of those where I know the story so well I don't have to pay attention too hard. As always, I loved all of the scenes and characters and adored watching the love story unfold between Darcy and Elizabeth. I am so in love with their love story that I am going to get a tattoo for them sometime in the future and I am so excited. They are so incredibly perfect and the epitome of romance. 

As a hopeless romantic, I have to say there's nothing like this novel. It's literally the blueprint for every romance novel since and it's a damn good blueprint. Everything about this book will always be perfection for me. While there are objectively better Jane Austen books out there, I don't see how anyone could not be obsessed with this book in particular because of how real it is. Even in the 1800s, women were just as delusional and flighty and crazy and insane and fun and imperfect as we are now and I love that aspect of this book. 

The enemies to lovers trope in this book will never be outdone. There is nothing I love more than someone who not only recognizes his own faults but CHANGES himself not just for her but for the smallest possibility that he could be with her one day. After such a brutal rejection, I would find it hard to ever believe I had a chance but Darcy saw his 1% chance and he took it. 

I highly highly recommend this book to ANYONE who loves romance and classics. It is THE classic novel and there is nothing that will ever surpass it for me (except maybe Oscar Wilde). 

Main Character: Elizabeth Bennet
Sidekick(s): Mr. Darcy, Jane, Mr. Bingley, Charlotte, Kitty, Lydia, Mrs. Bennet, Mr. Bennet, etc
Villain(s): Pride, prejudice, Mr. Wickham, Lady Catherine De Bourgh, Mr. Collins, misunderstandings
Classic Elements: This is the epitome of a classic novel.

Comments