The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

A Long Time Coming - Meghan Quinn

A Long Time Coming by Meghan Quinn
Genre: Romance

Blurb (on back of book)A witty take on a romantic comedy classic, My Best Friend's Wedding. Steamy, laugh-out-loud, and full of charm, these two best friends heat up the pages while proving true love might be right in front of you.
Have you ever heard of a man-in-waiting?
Yeah, neither has my best friend's soon-to-be monster-in-law. Ooo, sorry, I meant mother-in-law. Nor has she heard of the term, what the bride wants, the bride gets.
With wedding planning underway and a short timeline, my best friend, Lia, has recruited me to help her battle the snarly beast that is Mrs. Beaver. Not scared at all, I accept the challenge as her man-in-waiting--aka, man of honor--and take matters into my own hands.
The only problem is, with every second we draw closer to the wedding, I'm starting to see my best girl in a different light.
She's always been beautiful to me, but now . . . I find myself staring a touch too long. My hand lingering for one more minute. And when she's upset? Allowing her to sleep in my bed.
And before I know what's happening, it hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm in love with my best friend. Not just in love, but infatuated.
No one compares to her and nothing seems to distract me from that realization.
Not the girl I try to date while I help plan Lia's wedding.
Not her angry fiancé who thinks I'm growing too close.
And not the looming deadline of her nuptials.
Which means, there's only one thing left for me to do. Prove to Lia I'm the one she should be with instead. But with the pressure of her engagement, the stress from her soon-to-be mother-in-law, and the breath-stealing nerves running through me, I'm finding it a lot harder to claim the girl than I would like to admit.
Say a little prayer for me . . .

MY OPINION: ****

I actually really enjoyed this book despite it getting off to a slower start than the rest of the series for me. I finished it in a couple of days and I found it to be a fun, non-stressful read. It's a nice conclusion to the Cane Brothers series and while it wasn't my favorite, it was definitely not awful.

I'm never a huge fan of tropes where someone is actively falling in love with someone who is already taken, no matter how toxic the relationship is. It harbors on the cheating trope, which I absolutely cannot stand, which was my number one issue with this book. While no one actually cheats, it felt like emotional cheating was being brought up a lot and there were moments that I would consider borderline cheating.

Breaker and Lia have been best friends since college but both have been adamant that that's all they are. They never wanted to get into a relationship and spoil the strong friendship they have. Both of them are really nerdy, which I actually really loved and found very refreshing after reading about these billionaire brothers who kind of define themselves by their wealth. He doesn't live in some crazy mansion or penthouse apartment and instead chooses to live in smaller quarters so that he can remain next door to Lia. 

Lia is engaged and ready to be married to her less than appealing fiance, and Breaker agrees to be her man-in-waiting or man of honor for her wedding. TBH, if I was the fiance, I would NOT be very happy with this arrangement but they, again, are both adamant that they are just friends.

Lia's fiance's mother is one of those classic rich women who expect everything to be done on their terms for their "darling" baby boys. The Beave, as Lia terms her, was one of the most annoying characters I've read about in a long time. Think Emily Gilmore but more psychotic. She acted as if she was the one getting married and not her son and his fiancee. Lia is a chronic people pleaser and kind of goes along with whatever she's told, despite her reservations; her fiance is a mama's boy and will not ever stand up to his mother, no matter what ridiculous things she makes them do. The only one willing to stand up against The Beave is Breaker, which was admirable.

At times, I got bored by this because I honestly don't really care to read about engagements and marriage. I'm in college and I do not want to be thinking about all that right now. However, it was fun to get to see Breaker realize his feelings for Lia and start to pine over her; it just rubbed me the wrong way given the fact that she was taken. 

Lia's fiance, whose name I cannot remember, made me want to dropkick all men.

The book is cute and definitely a solid conclusion to this series. I wouldn't say it was my favorite of the three but it had some fun tropes and scenes and quirky little plot twists. I loved Breaker the most out of the three brothers, though Lia was meh with me. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a fun little rom-com to start their spring break with. 

Main Character: Breaker, Lia
Sidekick(s): Friends, family, etc
Villain(s): The Beave, misunderstandings, etc
Romance Elements: This book was a rom-com through and through. 

Comments