The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Tweet Cute - Emma Lord

Tweet Cute by Emma Lord
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around perfectionist. Her family may be falling apart, but their massive fast-food chain is booming ― mainly thanks to Pepper, who is barely managing to juggle real life while secretly running Big League Burger’s massive Twitter account.
Enter Jack, class clown and constant thorn in Pepper’s side. When he isn’t trying to duck out of his obscenely popular twin’s shadow, he’s busy working in his family’s deli. His relationship with the business that holds his future might be love/hate, but when Big League Burger steals his grandma’s iconic grilled cheese recipe, he’ll do whatever it takes to take them down, one tweet at a time.
All’s fair in love and cheese ― that is, until Pepper and Jack’s spat turns into a viral Twitter war. Little do they know, while they’re publicly duking it out with snarky memes and retweet battles, they’re also falling for each other in real life ― on an anonymous chat app Jack built.
As their relationship deepens and their online shenanigans escalate ― people on the internet are shipping them?? ― their battle gets more and more personal, until even these two rivals can’t ignore they were destined for the most unexpected, awkward, all-the-feels romance that neither of them expected.
A fresh, irresistible rom-com from debut author Emma Lord about the chances we take, the paths life can lead us on, and how love can be found in the opposite place you expected.

MY OPINION: **

This book has been on my TBR for a little too long and since I'm trying to get back into my YA era, I decided it was time. 

TBH this made me remember why I left my YA era.

It was not at all what I was expecting. It was not cute and fluffy and fluttery and instead was too long, too boring, and too basic.

PEPPER and JACK and their ship name being PEPPERJACK was too much for me. Like, be for real.

Jack was by far not the class clown, they lied.

Basically, the book is about two teens in a Twitter war over grilled cheese (yes, I'm being for real). They're also anonymously chatting on an app Jack made and don't know who the other is?? TBH, the whole plot was too complex for no reason. They're chatting on two different apps, with two different convos, and also interact in real life. Like, I understood it, but it was so unrealistic and could have been made so much simpler for a much more enjoyable read.

It was just the blandest story I've read in a while. I had no interest and I don't even know how I kept going. I wanted to DNF it so many times but I also wanted to just finish it so I could say that I did and then write a review on all my unpopular opinions after.

It was not cute enough for a book with "cute" literally in the title. I didn't like either Pepper nor Jack, though Jack was definitely a more enjoyable POV to read from. Pepper annoyed the living hell out of me. There was like zero chemistry between these two, as well, so it made it all the more slow-going and hard to get through. 

I'm sorry, the reasoning behind the Twitter war and the continuation of it was so stupid I rolled my eyes in real life.

Also, I was promised enemies to lovers and that was literally not a thing even remotely in this book. What was the point.

There's no way they fell for each other.

Anyways, shorter reviews upcoming b/c I cannot write this many reviews while balancing school and everything else. I'd say to try this one out if you like YA because I am definitely the unpopular opinion.

Main Character: Pepper, Jack
Sidekick(s): Friends, family
Villain(s): Anonymity, misunderstandings, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was real to life.

Comments