The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Classics

Blurb (on back of book): “I got you to look after me, and you got me to look after you, and that's why.”
They are an unlikely pair: George is "small and quick and dark of face"; Lennie, a man of tremendous size, has the mind of a young child. Yet they have formed a "family," clinging together in the face of loneliness and alienation. Laborers in California's dusty vegetable fields, they hustle work when they can, living a hand-to-mouth existence. But George and Lennie have a plan: to own an acre of land and a shack they can call their own.
While the powerlessness of the laboring class is a recurring theme in Steinbeck's work of the late 1930s, he narrowed his focus when composing 'Of Mice and Men' (1937), creating an intimate portrait of two men facing a world marked by petty tyranny, misunderstanding, jealousy, and callousness. But though the scope is narrow, the theme is universal: a friendship and a shared dream that makes an individual's existence meaningful.
A unique perspective on life's hardships, this story has achieved the status of timeless classic due to its remarkable success as a novel, a Broadway play, and three acclaimed films.

MY OPINION: *****

This was my first real Steinbeck and I am shocked and glad to say that I LOVED it. I never planned on reading this book anytime soon (unless forced) after we had to skip it in my eighth grade reading curriculum. However, I'm looking for shorter books to listen to on audiobook while working and this one is definitely super super short. I didn't really know what it was about before, though my sister really loves this book. 

I adored it. I definitely recommend reading it with a box of tissues right next to you because it's very sad. It's ridiculous how depressing it is. I didn't cry only because I was literally at work and my boss would have sent me to therapy or something. However, if I was alone and reading this book, I would probably have cried my eyes out. 

The book follows George and Lennie, two friends who are basically polar opposites but somehow fit perfectly together. Lennie "has the mind of a young child" and experiences mental challenges that make it hard for him to remember and process things. The way that the audiobook voicer read Lennie's character made him all the more appealing and heartwarming, and makes you love him as much as possible. He was clearly my favorite character and I loved him with my entire soul. George is quick-witted and gruff but has a soft spot for Lennie, and I loved seeing their dynamics with each other throughout the book. 

Every time they talked about the rabbits, your heart breaks a little more. Every time they paint a picture of their visions for the future, your tear ducts begin to fill. Every time Lennie literally says anything as he tries to understand what's happening, you feel a wave of love wash over you. Even George, in all his toughness and gruff exterior, is a sweetheart when it comes to Lennie. If you read this book and feel nothing towards Lennie, you're literally heartless (and I thought I was).

I think if I had to read this book for school, I would have had a whole different and less enjoyable experience, if we're being honest. Because I got to read this on my own time for myself, I enjoyed it a lot more. I think once you get to the pulling apart of each sentence to analyze its deeper meaning, the book's plot loses its flavor.

All the side characters made me angry, if we are being honest. None of them had any heart, it felt like.

The writing itself is very simple and easy to understand but it's definitely an intriguing and well-written story. I don't plan on reading any of Steinbeck's other books anytime soon, only because they are considerably longer and don't pique my interest. However, I'd definitely recommend all of you to pick this one up.

Main Character: Lennie, George
Sidekick(s): Friends, etc
Villain(s): Misunderstandings, confusion, death, etc
Realistic Fiction/Classics Elements: This book was all real to life and was a classic American novel.

Comments