The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen

A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen 
Genre: Plays

Blurb (on back of book): A Doll's House (1879), is a masterpiece of theatrical craft which, for the first time portrayed the tragic hypocrisy of Victorian middle class marriage on the stage. The play ushered in a new social era and "exploded like a bomb into contemporary life". 

MY OPINION: ****

I read this play for my Scandinavian class (yet again). I really love that class because it's exposing me to all new kinds of literature that I definitely would never have known about or would have read without it. 

This play was super interesting. It was a clear commentary on the institution of marriage, gender roles, and women's rights. I found it unique that it was written by a man and yet still managed to encapsulate some core issues many women (not ALL, but many) face even to this day (though it was clearly exacerbated by the times back then). 

The play's ending is very controversial (and I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to say some potentially spoiler-y things). It is only controversial, though, because it centers around a woman's personal decision that many don't agree with. To be quite honest, I supported our Nora's decision through and through. I understood why she did it and while I do admit there were better ways of going about it, I 100% agreed with what she did. I feel like the only people who actually found it controversial were... well, let's face it, men (or at least anyone who is just maybe a little misogynist). Like, I'm sorry, but there are plenty of men around out there who do exactly the same things that Nora did and for much worse reasons and they aren't necessarily censured or anything.

This is definitely a defining text in establishing the "independent woman" protagonist that is now thankfully much more rampant in literature. Everyone treats Nora like a doll, dehumanizing her, ordering her around, labeling her, and basically treating her as if she doesn't have feelings or emotions of her own. I loved how the play highlights her progression in developing her own independence and finding her inner strength to rebel against these sexist comments and behaviors being placed against her. 

I definitely think anyone interested in feminism, women's rights, or even just want to know more about Scandinavian culture should either pick this one up or go watch a live production of it. Although I've personally never heard of it before, it's apparently a very very famous play and I'm sure there are plenty of live versions still going because I know that my own hometown put on one a few years ago. While it's short and simple, it packs a lot of interesting dialogue and themes into it that really make you think about the current state of gender equity and women's rights. Especially in a time where this is STILL an issue in many nations (including America!), this definitely resonated with me a lot more than it would have if we were living in the perfect world we all hope for. 

Sorry for the short review, but I'm super super super behind...

Main Character: Nora
Sidekick(s): N/A
Villain(s): Marriage, sexism, etc
Plays Elements: This is a play.

Comments