The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Genre: Classics


Blurb (on back of book)
: This heartwarming story has beckoned generations of readers into the special world of Green Gables, an old-fashioned farm outside a town called Avonlea. Anne Shirley, an eleven-year-old orphan, has arrived in this verdant corner of Prince Edward Island only to discover that the Cuthberts—elderly Matthew and his stern sister, Marilla—want to adopt a boy, not a feisty redheaded girl. But before they can send her back, Anne—who simply must have more scope for her imagination and a real home—wins them over completely. A much-loved classic that explores all the vulnerability, expectations, and dreams of a child growing up, Anne of Green Gables is also a wonderful portrait of a time, a place, a family… and, most of all, love.


MY OPINION: *****

I've read this book several times but surprisingly I've apparently never reviewed them, so it must have been before I started writing book reviews in 2016. It's one of my most treasured childhood favorites. I just started working in the library at my university and so I have a lot of quiet time where I just sit and listen to audiobooks while doing work. When I saw this on the list of free audiobooks on Spotify, I said sign me right up. I'm currently trying to work my way through the series but unfortunately, they don't have all of the books on Spotify so I'm taking longer to get through the ones that aren't there. 

We all know I love L.M. Montgomery's Emily of New Moon series to death. It's one of my favorite series of all time and it's something I continuously go back to. However, I haven't picked up Anne in a pretty long time and I definitely have only read the entire eight-book series once. I do remember now why I loved them so much and I honestly like that I haven't read them in a while because it's almost as if I'm reading a brand new book (especially when it gets past the first one). 

Anne is such a character. I know her story like the back of my hand, especially because I've seen the film and show adaptations so many times but I haven't read the book in a hot minute so it was fun seeing all the differences and similarities from the film/show versions. Anne definitely is a very personable and unique girl and I love her to death. Her incessant chatter and her quaint observations about life are so whimsical and fun to read/listen to and I almost felt as if she were real. 

We all know I love Gilbert Blythe to death. That boy deserved better in this book but it is the PERFECT enemies to lovers. This book is literally the blueprint for academic rivals to lovers. I loved reading about their little fights and the obvious crush Gilbert had for Anne and it was just my favorite thing. I love Shirbert to death and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. 

Diana Barry is such a perfect friend. I've always wanted a "bosom friend" like Diana in my life. I loved reading about her friendship with Anne and the interesting exploits the girls got up to. Diana and Anne are polar opposites and I think that is what makes them such perfect friends. 

I love Marilla and Matthew. They are the perfect pair to raise Anne because of how different they are. Both of them have good hearts and good intentions but have different ways of showing their love. I think they were exactly what Anne needed and Anne was exactly what they needed. You can't help but feel a little happy when you read about how they form a unique little family over the course of the book. 

I will say that this book is quite fast-paced. Maybe it's just because I was listening to it but it felt like we jumped from event to event much faster than I anticipated. While I knew all of the events to come, I didn't expect them to come that early or that quickly in the book as they did. 

I will never get tired of these books. No matter how many times I read them, I will love them just the same. I would recommend them to anyone who hasn't had the chance to experience Anne's story, no matter how young or old you are. 

Main Character: Anne
Sidekick(s): Diana, Gilbert, Marilla, Matthew, etc
Villain(s): Mistakes, misunderstandings, etc
Classics Elements: This is a classic children's book. 

Comments