The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
Genre: Classics

Blurb (on back of book): More than 120 years after Oscar Wilde submitted "The Picture of Dorian Gray" for publication in "Lippincott's Monthly Magazine," the uncensored version of his novel appears here for the first time in a paperback edition. This volume restores all of the material removed by the novel's first editor.
Upon receipt of the typescript, Wilde's editor panicked at what he saw. Contained within its pages was material he feared readers would find "offensive"--especially instances of graphic homosexual content. He proceeded to go through the typescript with his pencil, cleaning it up until he made it "acceptable to the most fastidious taste." Wilde did not see these changes until his novel appeared in print. Wilde's editor's concern was well placed. Even in its redacted form, the novel caused public outcry. The British press condemned it as "vulgar," "unclean," "poisonous," "discreditable," and "a sham." When Wilde later enlarged the novel for publication in book form, he responded to his critics by further toning down its "immoral" elements.
Wilde famously said that "The Picture of Dorian Gray" "contains much of me" Basil Hallward is "what I think I am," Lord Henry "what the world thinks me," and "Dorian what I would like to be--in other ages, perhaps." Wilde's comment suggests a backward glance to a Greek or Dorian Age, but also a forward-looking view to a more permissive time than his own repressive Victorian era. By implication, Wilde would have preferred we read today the uncensored version of his novel.

MY OPINION: ******

SO. This is going to be a super short review because I just spilled my feelings about this book in my review of the general published version but I thought I should probably talk at least a little bit about this book to do it justice. 

If you're too lazy to go read my other review, basically this is my favorite book ever. I knew that when I saw this sitting in Barnes and Noble that I had to
get it. I had never realized there was an "uncensored" version of this masterpiece and obviously it had to be in my book collection immediately.

The biggest difference in this book and the clearest reason as to why Oscar Wilde was forced to change it into what it is today is Basil Hallward's character. In the published version, Basil is the painter who creates Dorian's infamous portrait. Now, things are very subtly hinted at in that version when it comes to portraying Basil's feelings for Dorian but it's not the most obvious, in-your-face kind of a thing (as that was very looked down upon in the time period). However, in this one, you can clearly see the feelings Oscar Wilde was trying to portray through Basil's character.

Basil is clearly in love with Dorian. His pride and admiration in the published version are the toned-down versions of his absolute besotted, almost-obsessed feelings for the young man. He says things like "It is quite true that I have worshipped you with far more romance of feeling than a man should ever give to a friend" that would never have slid in Victorian society. It's amazing how much was cut out to the point where you have to read between the lines to get a feel of how strong Basil's feelings are but yet, it is still watered down in comparison to the original.

Moving along, there are a few differences in scenes and characters and placement of paragraphs (I read this side by side with the published version and marked any and all differences... and I mean ALL) that change the story in some way or another. I wouldn't say that James, Sybil Vane's brother, made a HUGE difference (he is non-existent in this version) but it was clear that we were missing a lot of that subplot that helps spur the plot along in the published version. 

We also, interestingly, get the real name of the book Dorian Gray spends a whole chapter obsessing over. I found that quite interesting because it's so ambiguous in the published version. Here, we get character names, the title, and I believe the author (though I could be wrong) and it makes that entire sequence way more concrete.  

Personally, I can't decide which version I liked better. This one clearly has more of Wilde in it and you can really see more of the relationships and bonds you were supposed to get out of the published version. However, the other one is so close to my heart and remains so perfect to me that I can't truly decide if this one or that one is better. I rated them both the same and kept them on my list of would-die-for-these-books <3

Main Character: Dorian Gray
Sidekick(s): Lord Henry, Basil, etc
Villain(s): Sin, immorality, crime
Classics Elements: This book is the epitome of a real classic.

Comments