The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Ricochet - Becca and Krista Ritchie

Ricochet by Becca and Krista Richie
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Romance

Blurb (on back of book): As a sex addict, Lily Calloway must do the impossible. Stay celibate for 90 days.
Cravings and fantasies become her new routine, but while Loren Hale recovers from his alcohol addiction, Lily wonders if he’ll realize what a monster she really is. After all, her sexual compulsions begin to rule her life the longer she stays faithful to him.
Progress. That’s what Lily’s striving for. But by trying to become closer to her family—people who aren’t aware of her addiction—she creates larger obstacles. When she spends time with her youngest sister, she learns more about her than she ever imagined and senses an unsettling connection between Daisy and Ryke Meadows.
With Lily and Lo’s dysfunctional relationship teetering and unbalanced, they will need to find a way to reconnect from miles apart. But the inability to “touch” proves to be one of the hardest tests on their road to recovery. Some love brushes the surface. Some love is deeper than skin.
Lily and Lo have three months to discover just how deep their love really goes.

MY OPINION: **

This book, while very short, seemed to drag on so painfully and excruciatingly that I actually breathed out a sigh of relief when it was finally over. I think it's clear that this series is just not for me, which is sad because I've looked forward to them for a while based on the hype.

The book takes place just after the ending of the first one, with Loren checked in to rehab and Lily desperately trying to stay celibate for the 90 days he will be gone. Personally, I do not like Lily and found her character to be quite aggravating but I found it interesting to read about her experiences with her addiction, since it was such a unique issue to have. However, this book seemed more like a filler book than anything and I was confused as to why it even existed. Was it even a book? I'm not sure. It was more of a novella than anything and usually, those have less substance than the rest of the series. 

Loren and Lily tackle a long distance relationship for the first time. I personally am not a fan of long distance relationships, no matter how necessary they are in the given circumstances. This one clearly made a lot of sense but I found the entire story to just be lacking and boring. Maybe if we were reading from Loren's perspective and his journey through rehab, it would have been more entertaining and interesting but instead, we just read about Lily's sad, sad little life as she struggles with her own addictions apart from Loren. I like that she started going to therapy and actually struggling to work on herself but I didn't feel her putting in the same amount of effort as Loren and she quite honestly annoyed me.

I understand that both Lily and Loren are trying to overcome their addictions and head towards recovery in their own ways. I just personally am not a fan of the plot and didn't care enough to read about their stories to actually feel inspired or sympathetic or anything emotional about their trials and tribulations. People glamorize this as a love story in which the two main characters are fighting to do anything to stay together but honestly, I did not ship Loren and Lily and did not see any chemistry between them. I personally don't care if they do or do not stay together and so that whole doing-anything-for-love thing didn't really resonate with me in this particular book.

I liked reading more about the side characters and seeing their relationships grow (for the most part). They were far more interesting to me and are the last thread hanging for me to feel incentivized to continue reading this book. Rose and Connor were perfect and everything I want to read about but yet, I have to suffer through more and more pages of LiLo just to get to their story. And it's like, are they REALLY worth it? I personally cannot stand Lily and the thought of reading more about her life with Loren just to get to a better love story... I'm still undecided. The fact that the next book is extremely long compared to this one does not bode well.

Ryke and Daisy. I thought we were all on the same page about this one but apparently we aren't. I don't care if she looks older than she is. That is not an excuse to say creepy things to her and look at her in creepy ways and support her stupid decisions. I hate their relationship and everything that the authors are trying to build for them and I can't help but see it as grooming and nothing more.

This book, while extremely short, had several very slow-paced scenes and I just could not stand it. I know a lot of people loved this one for the different vibes it was giving from the first book but I found it to be even worse, if that's possible. I hate sounding like a hater but I am here to give my honest opinion, and personally, nothing about this book made me want to stay up all night and continue. The fact that it took me two days to read less than 200 pages says a lot.

I would recommend this book to readers who really liked the first one, but if you were hesitant about continuing the series, I wouldn't say to keep going. That's just my opinion, though, and it's clearly the outlying opinion.

Main Character: Lily
Sidekick(s): Loren, family, friends, etc
Villain(s): Misunderstandings, addictions, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book is very real to life.

Comments