The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Funny You Should Ask - Elissa Sussmann

Funny You Should Ask by Elissa Sussmann
Genre: NA Realistic Fiction/Romance

Blurb (on back of book): A restless young journalist with big dreams interviews a Hollywood heartthrob--and, ten years later, it's clear that their time together meant more than meets the eye in this sexy, engrossing adult debut novel.
Then. Twentysomething writer Chani Horowitz is stuck. While her former MFA classmates are nabbing book deals, she's in the trenches writing puff pieces. Then she's hired to write a profile of movie star Gabe Parker. The Gabe Parker--her forever celebrity crush, the object of her fantasies, the background photo on her phone--who's also just been cast as the new James Bond. It's terrifying and thrilling all at once . . . yet if she can keep her cool and nail the piece, it could be a huge win. Gabe will get good press, and her career will skyrocket. But what comes next proves to be life-changing in ways Chani never saw coming, as the interview turns into a whirlwind weekend that has the tabloids buzzing.
Now. Ten years later, after a brutal divorce and a heavy dose of therapy, Chani is back in Los Angeles, laser-focused on one thing: her work. But she's still spent the better part of the last decade getting asked about her deeply personal Gabe Parker profile at every turn. No matter what new essay collection or viral editorial she's promoting, it always comes back to Gabe. So when his PR team requests that they reunite for a second interview, she wants to say no. She wants to pretend that she's forgotten about the time they spent together, years ago. But the truth is that those seventy-two hours are still crystal clear, etched in her memory. And so . . . she says yes.
Chani knows that facing Gabe again also means facing feelings she's tried so hard to push away. Alternating between their first meeting and their reunion a decade later, this deliciously irresistible novel will have you hanging on until the last word.

MY OPINION: ***

When I first came across this book on my TikTok for you page, I immediately added it to my TBR. There's so much to love about it, even from the first glance. The cover is beautiful and fits the exact type of books I usually love and the premise sounded interesting. I was told by multiple people that this book was a gift from above and that it is the best thing you will ever read. 

While I personally did not find it to be the best book I've ever read, or even the best book I've read this month, I enjoyed this romance novel for the most part. It was cute, realistic, serious, and funny. The book reads very similarly to an Emily Henry novel, whom you all know I'm not the largest fan of, but it had a bit of the flavor I constantly seem to be missing in Henry's books. Still, it was fairly mediocre in comparison to my favorite romance novels, so take that with a grain of salt.

Chani Horowitz is a millennial-aged writer who rose to fame after writing a particularly interesting and unique profile on famous actor Gabe Parker. She manages to write several bestselling books and make a name for herself but she can't help feeling like she's always attached to Gabe's name and reputation rather than being treated as her own person. It doesn't help that there are a bunch of swirling rumors about what the two did together at a house party a day after the interview. 

However, a decade after that event, she finds herself forced to return to the man she hasn't seen in ten years and do a sort of revival interview. Desperate to find the answers to some of the questions she's carried with her for ten years about Gabe and the couple of nights she spent with him, she reluctantly agrees. 

Gabe Parker has gone through his own fair share of problems in the ten years between the first and second interviews. He's a recovering alcoholic who spent years in rehab after a brief stint as the new James Bond. He and his fellow actress wife are divorced. He's moved into a new home despite his hometown in Montana. 

My main issue with this book was that I felt absolutely zero chemistry between Gabe and Chani. I'm sorry but I did not see or feel them to be in love at all. A few drunken nights spent together (not doing anything!) and partying with Gabe and his friend Oliver does not equate to some earth-shattering connection and everlasting love. 

I loved Oliver more than anyone and his storyline was the most important and well-written for me. I loved watching his journey in Hollywood as an initially closeted gay actor to his evolution into a happily married actor able to talk about his identity with the media despite his earlier fears. His character added a layer of complexity to this book that it was otherwise lacking. I loved his relationship with Chani, his friendship with Gabe, his loyalty and bravery, and his strength in the face of extreme discrimination. 

I learned recently that this book was based off of a Chris Evans article in GQ, which I was shocked by. I just read parts of the article and I can 100% see the similarities, right down to the exact style of writing. I wish the author had maybe at least referenced it in the acknowledgements or something because it honestly is too similar, at least in the article snippets we get in the book, for it to be played off as a coincidence or a mere inspiration.

As a journalist, I don't really condone having personal or intimate relationships with your interviewees. That's not your job and is honestly an extreme conflict of interest. However, for this book, I was willing to overlook that fact but it still didn't sit well with me. There's no way that some random interviewer managed to sneak her way into a movie premiere after one small conversation with a famous actor. It felt very unprofessional and awkward and the way the "articles" were written in the book really portrayed that sentiment.

Chani was honestly super annoying with her constant whining and sensitivity. She never seemed to think anything for herself and relied on what other people thought about her or her writing and then complained about it to anyone who would listen. Honestly, was she even a good writer? For some supposedly viral explosive profile, her article wasn't the best. I don't know that I would be that intrigued to read it like I was to read the Chris Evans article (which, arguably, also wasn't even that amazing to begin with, but I don't want to crap on writing that I'm not personally reviewing). 

I think I personally just don't like books about books. I said it. People seem to love that trope and love to read about other writers or bibliophiles but honestly, it always feels tacky and boring and mundane. I don't care about this character's obscure favorite books that supposedly make them appear more intelligent or whatever. I don't care about this person's writers block that they can't seem to get past. Like, okay, I get it. Where is the plot of the book I'm reading? Why am I reading the plot of a book within a book?

Honestly, when I first ended this book a couple of weeks ago, I actually rated this book four stars. I don't know what feelings I was having about this book then but after a couple of weeks of self-reflection, I've changed my mind about it. It wasn't all that amazing like I clearly thought it was for some reason.

I would recommend this book to Emily Henry fans. Clearly, a large part of the world is obsessed with her, so have at it with this one. It gave me very similar vibes, which probably played a large factor in my personal feelings about this book. It's definitely not bad, but it wasn't my favorite like I hoped it would be based on what everyone else around me was saying.

Main Character: Chani
Sidekick(s): Gabe, Oliver, etc
Villain(s): Misunderstandings, media, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments