The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Heartstopper (Volume I) - Alice Oseman

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction/Graphic Novel

Blurb (on back of book): Charlie, a highly-strung, openly gay over-thinker, and Nick, a cheerful, soft-hearted rugby player, meet at a British all-boys grammar school. Friendship blooms quickly, but could there be something more...?
Charlie Spring is in Year 10 at Truham Grammar School for Boys. The past year hasn't been too great, but at least he's not being bullied anymore. Nick Nelson is in Year 11 and on the school rugby team. He's heard a little about Charlie - the kid who was outed last year and bullied for a few months - but he's never had the opportunity to talk to him.
They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn't think he has a chance. But love works in surprising ways, and sometimes good things are waiting just around the corner...

MY OPINION: ****

These are going to be three super short, snappy reviews on this graphic novel series. I read them on my phone through the Webtoon app where they were originally published so I'm not 100% sure how accurate they are to the published book version and if they are exactly the same or not. However, I'm fairly certain the premise is the same so I'm going off of that; if there are any discrepancies, let me know as I plan to buy the actual books soon. 

I read these in anticipation of the Netflix movie to be released next month (I believe) and I absolutely loved them. They were pure fluff and everything about it was so pure and cute. I finished all three in the span of one night, so they're super fast, especially since they're graphic novels. I really loved the premise and the drawings and small details made it super adorable. My face was smiling the entire time while reading this series. 

I'm not entirely sure which content was in which volume so I might go into some of the later volumes by accident, so forgive me. 

This first book sets the stage. We see Charlie, an openly-gay high-schooler with a tendency to overthink everything, and Nick, a happy, kind rugby player exploring his sexuality. I loved both of them equally and found them both to be lovable characters with very clear traits that allowed readers to differentiate between them very well. The two grow closer together but Nick is still unsure of his feelings and Charlie is under the impression that Nick is very straight. I loved seeing their relationship blossom and slowly develop. There was a tiny hint of drama with some side characters but everything between the two of them was very wholesome and clean, and you couldn't help but root for them. 

I think this book was very realistic and very cute. Some might say it's a very rose-colored depiction of coming out and exploring sexuality, especially with the horrible stigma that still exists to this day, but sometimes you want that wholesome, cute story about two boys simply finding each other and exploring their newfound and confusing feelings for each other. 

Something I have learned to appreciate about graphic novels is the attention to detail. The smallest moments are carefully drawn so that readers can see every single thing that is occurring. I have read a fair amount of graphic novels but I'm usually a fast-reader in that I don't really stop to pay attention to those tiny observations. However, in this one, I caught things that mere words could never truly capture.

Overall, this was a super cute, super fun and easy to read story. I would totally recommend it to anyone looking for a fast-paced, adorable story of two boys finding love for the first time. 

Main Character: Nick, Charlie
Sidekick(s): Friends, family, etc
Villain(s): Ben, homophobia, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book is all very real to life.

Comments