The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Get a Life, Chloe Brown - Talia Hibbert

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
Genre: Realistic Fiction/Rom-Com

Blurb (on back of book): Chloe Brown is a chronically ill computer geek with a goal, a plan, and a list. After almost—but not quite—dying, she’s come up with seven directives to help her “Get a Life”, and she’s already completed the first: finally moving out of her glamorous family’s mansion. The next items?
• Enjoy a drunken night out.
• Ride a motorcycle.
• Go camping.
• Have meaningless but thoroughly enjoyable sex.
• Travel the world with nothing but hand luggage.
• And... do something bad.
But it’s not easy being bad, even when you’ve written step-by-step guidelines on how to do it correctly. What Chloe needs is a teacher, and she knows just the man for the job.
Redford ‘Red’ Morgan is a handyman with tattoos, a motorcycle, and more sex appeal than ten-thousand Hollywood heartthrobs. He’s also an artist who paints at night and hides his work in the light of day, which Chloe knows because she spies on him occasionally. Just the teeniest, tiniest bit.
But when she enlists Red in her mission to rebel, she learns things about him that no spy session could teach her. Like why he clearly resents Chloe’s wealthy background. And why he never shows his art to anyone. And what really lies beneath his rough exterior…

MY OPINION: ***

With all the hype and raving reviews and bluster about this book, I can tell you I expected way better. 

I'd like to start out by saying it definitely wasn't bad. I've read far worse rom-coms and I actually liked the banter and characters within this one. I just simply expected so much better. I thought it was gonna surpass my love for Aaron Blackford. I thought I would be reaching for the stars with how much I would love this book just like everyone else on Tiktok. 

Eh.

I think the book was very mediocre. The writing was not bad, the characters were cute and unique, the setting was typical. I don't know what it is about this book that has everyone convinced it's god on earth but for me, it was very meh. 

Chloe has fibromyalgia, a disease I've never heard of before prior to reading this book. Basically, she has chronic pain, with a whole bunch of side effects (fatigue, headaches, difficulty walking long distances, etc). I loved the representation for this disability especially because I've never read about it before in any book. I think it was dealt with nicely as well. It didn't take up the entire plot of the book but wasn't cast aside as a simple character trait. It was just a part of who Chloe was and didn't seem to define her or be ignored, something I admired within Hibbert's writing. 

Chloe's illness and overall personality has made her pretty hard on others and given her a fairly cynical outlook on life. She doesn't really sugarcoat things and may come off rude or cold. I liked that about her and admired her ability to just push past things and act like she didn't care that much. I would love to be like that and at the very least pretend like things don't bother me. 

Redford is an artist, covered in tattoos, who rides a motorcycle, and is also the handyman/landlord-esque dude for Chloe's housing building. I want to say I loved Red. I definitely loved his personality. I think he was funny, kind, passionate, and strong and didn't let his insecurities take over his life and control his every decision. However. I am so so sorry. But every time I read about his overalls and long red hair I could only think of one guy.

Search up "red hair guy from the polar express movie" and you'll see what I'm talking about. I KNOW that's not what he looks like. I KNOW he's a handsome, tattoo-covered angel. BUT once that image landed in my head I couldn't get it out. And I WANTED to so badly but I could just see:




I'm sorry if you're a Redford stan and I just ruined your mental image of him but if I had to see it, so did you. 

The emails were cute though. 

Aside from that, I loved the chemistry between the two. You can see them starting to warm up to each other and begin to show their true selves, which I really appreciated. I loved watching them slowly fall in love, scared of what could happen but embracing the inevitable. 

Chloe has a list of things she wants to do "get a life" since she's spent a lot of her life sitting at home, in pain. Red quickly promises to help her out and so it begins. I love the idea of the list and seeing the two of them grow closer as Chloe starts to accomplish everything on it with someone by her side. However, I really hated how Red didn't really seem to UNDERSTAND the true concept of the list and why she decided to make it. I think there was some miscommunication on both of their parts and I wasn't a fan of how that all played out. 

I liked the premise of this book, but I think for the most part, I didn't really LOVE a lot of the different aspects of it. I would definitely recommend it to readers looking for a cute rom-com but I wouldn't place it as my book of the month. I do plan on continuing the series and am almost done with the last one, which I HOPE to finish before 2022.

Main Character: Chloe, Red
Sidekick(s): Eve, Dani, friends, family, etc
Villain(s): Misunderstandings, miscommunication, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments