The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire - Jennifer L. Armentrout

A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Genre: NA Fantasy

Blurb (on back of book): A Betrayal…
Everything Poppy has ever believed in is a lie, including the man she was falling in love with. Thrust among those who see her as a symbol of a monstrous
kingdom, she barely knows who she is without the veil of the Maiden. But what she does know is that nothing is as dangerous to her as him. The Dark One. The Prince of Atlantia. He wants her to fight him, and that’s one order she’s more than happy to obey. He may have taken her, but he will never have her.
A Choice...
Casteel Da’Neer is known by many names and many faces. His lies are as seductive as his touch. His truths as sensual as his bite. Poppy knows better than to trust him. He needs her alive, healthy, and whole to achieve his goals. But he’s the only way for her to get what she wants—to find her brother Ian and see for herself if he has become a soulless Ascended. Working with Casteel instead of against him presents its own risks. He still tempts her with every breath, offering up all she’s ever wanted. Casteel has plans for her. Ones that could expose her to unimaginable pleasure and unfathomable pain. Plans that will force her to look beyond everything she thought she knew about herself—about him. Plans that could bind their lives together in unexpected ways that neither kingdom is prepared for. And she’s far too reckless, too hungry, to resist the temptation.
A Secret…
But unrest has grown in Atlantia as they await the return of their Prince. Whispers of war have become stronger, and Poppy is at the very heart of it all. The King wants to use her to send a message. The Descenters want her dead. The wolven are growing more unpredictable. And as her abilities to feel pain and emotion begin to grow and strengthen, the Atlantians start to fear her. Dark secrets are at play, ones steeped in the blood-drenched sins of two kingdoms that would do anything to keep the truth hidden. But when the earth begins to shake, and the skies start to bleed, it may already be too late. 

MY OPINION: *****

I think it's been a while since I've genuinely enjoyed and loved a book so much it merited a complete five stars. My ratings over the past few months have increasingly been on the decline, and I'm so glad that I found something that I genuinely loved. 

This book transcended the first book in all capacities. I adored everything about it and April couldn't come soon enough for the third book. I usually am not the largest fan of fantasy, despite the copious amounts I've been reading of the genre in the past few months to catch up with the YA/NA Fantasy world. However, I loved the world-building, the characters, the otherworld elements, and the sparks in this book so much that it's hard to put it into words. All I'm saying is I have extremely high expectations for the third book. 

I LOVE Jennifer L. Armentrout, something that has never been a secret. However, this book definitely ranks in the top three books from JLA, and that's saying a lot because I adore all of her series.

Poppy is the snarky, sarcastic, beautiful, strong, and determined female protagonist we all love. Something I admired about her was her lack of a "hero complex." She didn't try to portray herself as better than she was or try to save everyone and everything at all times. That seems to be a common problem in a lot of YA and NA that I've read, but Poppy was refreshing, inspiring, and unique. I love seeing the character development she's gone through as she's finally freed from the title and restraints of the Maiden. We truly get to see her real personality in this book and I'm hoping for more of her wit and sarcasm in the next book more than anything. 

Casteel is a dreamboat and everything a love interest should be. Everything that he's done "wrong" has been for good reason, and as much as you try to shun or scorn him, you can't help but forgive him or at least understand everything he's been through that has led him to becoming the person he is today. I adored everything about that man, from his jokes, explicit language, and sarcasm to his strength, cunning, and bravery. I admired his fierce loyalty to Kieran and to Poppy and loved how he was willing to do anything to protect them. I also loved his loyalty to his brother, Malik, despite everyone around him telling him it's a hopeless cause. I can only hope that Malik is sane and okay in the next book because I will for sure cry if Casteel doesn't get to reunite with his brother. 

I loved the relationship between Poppy and Casteel. While it started out as more of a planned-out action to benefit Casteel's quest in finding his brother, it soon became way more than that. I truly felt the fiery-hot, beautiful, palpable chemistry between these two, something that I haven't noticed in a long time. Everything about them screamed love and caring, even if they have yet to say the actual words. Something else I also LOVED was Casteel's protectiveness over Poppy that was NOT over-reaching or toxic. Even if he had his own reservations or felt that Poppy was going to put herself into a dangerous situation, he didn't stop her and instead respected her decisions.

(Yes, I realize that this is literally the bare minimum expectation from men, but alas, what can I say? The bar is below the ground)

Kieran is my lifeline. I think I love Kieran more than Casteel, something that seems impossible but is entirely true. I ADORE that boy. I love his humor, his sarcasm, his role as comedic relief, best friend, and protector, and I didn't feel like he was a token sidekick like many other YA/NA books have. He truly felt like an integral part of the story and the characters. I love how he's always being brought into the middle of Casteel and Poppy's relationship, whether it be as a wingman or as a mediator during their arguments. I also ADORED his teasing with Poppy and his inability to stop pointing out her extreme curiosity and inclination to ask questions. 

We are also introduced to other characters, such as other Wolven, and Alastir, the father figure in Casteel's life. I have mixed feelings about him and I won't talk about him until I know more about his background and personality in the next book. 

I love the dynamic with the Ascended as we learn more about their horrifying traditions and ways of life. It's definitely something to be explored in the next book.

Everything about this book was intriguing, perfect, and outstanding. It's definitely going to be a reread in the future. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a beautifully-written, romantic, fiery, earth-shattering novel (but only when the third book comes out if you want to preserve your sanity)!

I would KILL for a Casteel POV or a Kieran POV in the next book. 

Main Character: Poppy
Sidekick(s): Casteel, Kieran, etc
Villain(s): Ascended, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book is based on imaginary characters, setting, and plot. 

Comments