The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J. K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
Genre: YA Fantasy 

Blurb (on back of book): "There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways … their magical prowess - their daring - their powers of deduction - and, of course, their ability to cope with danger."
The Triwizard Tournament is to be held at Hogwarts. Only wizards who are over seventeen are allowed to enter - but that doesn't stop Harry dreaming that he will win the competition. Then at Hallowe'en, when the Goblet of Fire makes its selection, Harry is amazed to find his name is one of those that the magical cup picks out. He will face death-defying tasks, dragons and Dark wizards, but with the help of his best friends, Ron and Hermione, he might just make it through - alive!

MY OPINION: ****

This particular book in the series has always been one of my favorites. I love the Goblet of Fire, the Triwizard Tournament, the Yule Ball, and everything in between. I think it's also an important turning point in the series because it goes from a young, naive Harry to a more mature and grown-up version of Harry in a darker setting. 

*spoilers ahead*

The book begins with the big Quidditch World Cup, the final event between Ireland and Bulgaria of the annual Quidditch tournament. We are introduced to the Bulgarian Seeker, Viktor Krum, who later on becomes a fairly important character. After the tournament is over, with a great victory for Ireland, the celebrations turn dark as a group of Voldemort's followers, the Death Eaters, rise up and cast the Dark Mark. It is here that readers realize that this particular book isn't like the others, beginning with a darker tone and setting the stage for the rise of Lord Voldemort. 

At Hogwarts, the students are introduced to the Triwizard Tournament, a set of three challenges designed to test the bravest and boldest students from the three main wizarding schools: Hogwarts, Durmstrang, and Beauxbatons. I loved the introduction of these new schools and new students because it was an interesting addition to the magical world that I'm sure many people had been questioning prior to this. Through the magical Goblet of Fire, the three main champions are chosen: Cedric Diggory of Hogwarts, Viktor Krum of Durmstrang, and Fleur Delacour of Beauxbatons. In a mystifying turn of events, Harry Potter (of course) is also chosen as a fourth champion. 

I loved this entire plot. The introduction of the games were brilliant entertainment and also allowed for a lot of potential for drama and plot twists. I loved meeting the new characters, particularly Cedric Diggory, may he rest in peace. It helped to add to the theme of uniting as one and seeing past differences to come together against one enemy. We're also introduced to Mad-Eye Moody, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and ex-Auror (Dark wizard hunter). I liked seeing how his character played a role in the whole mystery of Harry's being chosen and how everything is revealed at the end. We also get to meet Winky, a House Elf that ends up having a larger role than anyone expected. While I did not really like Winky, I felt bad for her. I liked the way that the role of House Elves was magnified in this book, particularly with Hermione's SPEW (advocacy for the house elves). It was an interesting parallel to real life that I think could have been better-written but still appreciate the acknowledgement of its existence. 

Obviously, I have seen these films many times so I knew everything that was going to happen. However, it's been a long, long time since I've read the books and I loved noticing all of the differences between the film and the book, particularly in this one since I know that the director of the movie never read the book (a crime, in my opinion).

Ron was annoying for a large part of this book, but I understood where he was coming from. It must be hard being the best friend of the Chosen One, especially when he feels significantly lesser than Harry, due to his economic status. I've never particularly liked Ron but I think his friendship and relationship with Harry is important as a buffer between the Golden Trio and the way that they interact with each other and with others.

Hermione is my favorite of the three and I wish so badly I could be best friends with her. I love her wit, her sarcasm, her intelligence, and everything about her. I also loved the budding relationship between her and Viktor Krum and the awareness this brought to the Romione relationship that is soon to come.

I still ship Drarry after seeing all the recent TikToks and other posts swirling around social media but the book Draco was still a dick and I could barely see any redemption in him. The movie Draco is far superior. I would DIE to see this series told from Draco's point of view though. Just imagine the sidelined-bitter-villain who finally gets to shine in the sixth book with the whole Dumbledore ordeal. It would be so superior. 

Neville Longbottom is an angel and I love everything about that boy. Every time I think of his parents and what happened to them, my heart breaks for our poor Neville, the boy that nobody really cares too much about but is one of the most loyal and brave characters in the series.  

The Yule Ball will forever be my favorite part of this book and one of my favorite events in the whole series. It's such a fun, random, interesting part of this otherwise serious and dark series. I wish it could have gone better for Hermione but of course, Ron's jealousy and overall frustration ruined it for her. Other than that, I adore the Yule Ball and everything about it. 

The ending is so sickening every time I see or read it. Cedric Diggory deserved so much better. What was the point of building up his character so much just to kill him off? It's so disgusting every time I think about it. The rise of Lord Voldemort was essential, though, to set the stage for the future novels and the ultimate showdown between Harry and the Dark Lord. I liked the way it was written because it was quite interesting and unique. 

Harry has truly started to grow up and reach his full potential as The Boy Who Lived. I can't wait to see how he continues to grow throughout the rest of the series. I loved his heart, his bravery, and also his normal-ness as he struggled to live his life as a normal boy while also being labelled, bullied, and unfairly cast into the spotlight. 

I love Sirius Black and his fatherly presence for Harry. It was admirable that he was willing to risk his life for Harry, no matter the dangers it posed. 

I would recommend this book to any reader looking for an iconic, fantasy series. 

Main Character: Harry
Sidekick(s): Ron, Hermione, Sirius, Dumbledore, etc
Villain(s): Voldemort, Barty Crouch Jr., Wormtail, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was based on imaginary characters, setting, plot, etc.

Comments