The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Dead Poets Society - N. H. Kleinbaum

Dead Poets Society by N. H. Kleinbaum
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to "make your lives extraordinary! " Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their passions run wild. As Keating turns the boys on to the great words of Byron, Shelley, and Keats, they discover not only the beauty of language, but the importance of making each moment count. But the Dead Poets pledges soon realize that their newfound freedom can have tragic consequences. Can the club and the individuality it inspires survive the pressure from authorities determined to destroy their dreams?

MY OPINION: ****

I remember watching this film a long, long time ago and I recently rewatched it. I really enjoyed it, though I stopped halfway after realizing there was a book. I decided to read it before finishing the movie because it's common knowledge that books are always better than the films and while I sort of remembered what was going to happen, it was all a bit fuzzy in my memory. *I now know that the book was based on the movie and not the other way around, so it explain why it felt SO similar. It was basically a copy of the screenplay. 

I enjoyed this book. It was way shorter than I was expecting but I loved how the author still managed to create such beautifully-written characters and plotlines in such a short amount of time. I loved reading about the different problems in each character's lives and the different personalities and traits they all had.

The ending was so unbelievably depressing and heartbreaking and I almost cried. I definitely would have cried if I hadn't known it was coming but reading about it and the reactions that his friends and family had afterwards was so sad. 

Todd Anderson is a shy boy who joins the rigid, disciplined all-boys school known as Welton Academy. His roommate, Neil Perry, becomes fast friends with Todd and he's quickly assimilated into a group of boys, Knox, Cameron, Meeks, Pitts, and Dalton. Their English teacher is a bit unique and quirky and has a lot of unorthodox and strange teaching methods that honestly sounded really fun. The boys are soon introduced to a secret club known as the Dead Poets Society and decide to revive it.

Neil was obviously my favorite character for a variety of reasons. He was so full of life and had passions and a love for acting that was unparalleled in any of the other boys. I loved everything about him and his character, except his inability to stand up to his father. While I do understand why he couldn't do it and I don't think it lessened his strength in any way, I would have loved to have seen a final burst of bravado against his father. Instead, it ends the way it does (no spoilers) and my heart broke for him. He was SO FULL OF LIFE and it's the real irony of that statement that really pulls at your heartstrings. 

Neil's father is a complete and utter asshole and I despised him with my entire being. He wants his son to follow a path that he has laid out for him rather than letting him pursue his own dreams and it's those types of parents that make me livid. He is an overprotective, awful, commanding person who I couldn't even feel any empathy for in the end because it was his own doing that led to the result of his son's actions. Even after the play and seeing how much his son loved acting, he still couldn't find it in his heart to let his son do what he wanted to do. I'm sure one day I'll understand his character a bit more but right now, I truly believe that what he did was unforgivable. At the very least, he could have allowed his son to pursue acting as a side hobby. 

I loved the other boys. Knox and his naive love for Chris and his ultimate relationship with her was the most interesting side story out of the boys in my opinion. They all had their own personalities and traits that I loved. I especially loved Todd and his precious self. His poetry was honestly the best out of any of them and I loved how he finally managed to break out of his shell and stand up for Mr. Keating. 

I also loved Mr. Keating. How could you not? He has such an interesting way of teaching that actually got through to the boys unlike the other more orthodox, traditional teachers. I would have loved to have had a teacher like him. It would make people genuinely excited to go to class and sad to leave. 

I loved how this book was so short. A fast reader can probably finish it faster than the movie. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a short, beautifully-written, dramatic novel. (Watch the film too!!)

Main Character: Todd, Neil
Sidekick(s): Knox, Charlie, Cameron, Meeks, Dalton, Mr. Keating, etc
Villain(s): Controlling parents, death, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this could have happened in real life. 

Comments