The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

One with You - Sylvia Day

One with You by Sylvia Day
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Gideon Cross. Falling in love with him was the easiest thing I've ever done. It happened instantly. Completely. Irrevocably.
Marrying him was a dream come true. Staying married to him is the fight of my life. Love transforms. Ours is both a refuge from the storm and the most violent of tempests. Two damaged souls entwined as one.
We have bared our deepest, ugliest secrets to one another. Gideon is the mirror that reflects all my flaws ... and all the beauty I couldn't see. He has given me everything. Now, I must prove I can be the rock, the shelter for him that he is for me. Together, we could stand against those who work so viciously to come between us.
But our greatest battle may lie within the very vows that give us strength. Committing to love was only the beginning. Fighting for it will either set us free ... or break us apart.

MY OPINION: ****

I'm both happy and sad to be finished with the Crossfire series. I finished the series over the span of two months, with a bunch of other books in between. Being that I spent so long with these novels and these characters, it's a bittersweet moment when you realize that it's over and that you have to move on from them. However, at the same time, this wasn't the best, most captivating series I've ever read and I'm glad that it's over. I personally believe it should have been left at the original three books the author intended instead of adding the fourth and fifth books.

Both were full of fluff and meaningless plot lines. However, this one focused more on surprising cliffhangers and plot twists that made readers want to keep going even when the book was over. I personally liked the finality of this book for the series because it really closed up the series. However, I think she left a lot of loose ends that could have been a bit more extravagantly cleaned up and detailed, especially since many of these random plot lines were added in the second half of the last novel. 

I loved the development of Eva and Gideon's relationship from the first book to the last. While they never lost their vivacity and lust/love for each other, they really took time to take a step back and figure out what they wanted out of the relationship and how they were going to get there. I liked how they started to be more honest with each other and make compromises because it made the relationship feel a lot healthier. While they were both fairly possessive and overprotective of each other, both had suffered through extreme trauma and it sort of justified their actions, though it is definitely not something that should be normalized or romanticized in any way. I like how they always felt safe with each other for the most part. 

I still found a lot of the major plot points a bit confusing but it may have been because I was reading extra fast while also sleep-deprived and stressed out about school. The many women of Gideon's past were honestly sort of confusing and hard to keep track of, especially Anne Lucas and that entire mess. The ending was shocking to say the least and I would have liked a bit more conclusion to it because I still felt a bit confused about the whole situation.

Eva Tramell was a bright, fiery, Latina female who didn't let a man guide her every decision, something that I was appreciative of. Many novels similar to these portray the female as submissive and dependent on the man, and while she's definitely not the dominant person in the relationship, she still managed to have some control in the various affairs of their lives. I liked how Gideon let her have that without losing his control over them as well. They felt like equals instead of Gideon in a power position and it was refreshing to see a heterosexual relationship portrayed this way in adult romance. 

Gideon Cross was a supreme, dominant, handsome businessman mogul who I learned to love throughout the series. While I wasn't his biggest fan in the beginning, I adored his love for Eva and his protectiveness. He was willing to do anything for her and although I can't condone some of his more criminal-esque actions, I found it admirable how he was so fiercely in love with Eva that he was able to push past his own fears and doubts just to be with her. 

I am glad this series is over but I will always remember it. I don't think I'll be reading any more of Day's other books any time soon, but if I'm ever in need of another Crossfire-esque book, I know where to go. I would recommend this book to mature readers looking for a fiery, passionate, romance novel full of drama and twists and turns. 

Main Character: Gideon, Eva
Sidekick(s): Cary, Megumi, Chris, Victor, Angus, etc
Villain(s): Hall, the past, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments