The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Captivated by You - Sylvia Day

Captivated by You by Sylvia Day
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Gideon calls me his angel, but he's the miracle in my life. My gorgeous, wounded warrior, so determined to slay my demons while refusing to face his own.
The vows we'd exchanged should have bound us tighter than blood and flesh. Instead they opened old wounds, exposed pain and insecurities, and lured bitter enemies out of the shadows. I felt him slipping from my grasp, my greatest fears becoming my reality, my love tested in ways I wasn't sure I was strong enough to bear.
At the brightest time in our lives, the darkness of his past encroached and threatened everything we’d worked so hard for. We faced a terrible choice: the familiar safety of the lives we'd had before each other or the fight for a future that suddenly seemed an impossible and hopeless dream...

MY OPINION: **

This book was mostly a filler novel and didn't have too many interesting plot points. To be quite honest, I don't remember much of anything that happened in this book. 

We get to see Gideon's perspective throughout this book which I would ordinarily would be excited about in novels. I usually love seeing the thoughts of the other love interest or main character in a book. However, Gideon's perspective was honestly boring and seemed exactly the same as Eva's in terms of blandness. He didn't really have too many big character traits that made him a distinguishable persona. 

Eva and Gideon's relationship is developed more throughout this book, especially the concept of marriage and the consequences of rushing into everything. I liked seeing them grow together and learn to compromise but something about their relationship seemed to have lost the original spark that I had come to expect. 

The biggest problem for me was the lack of chemistry. Fluffy writing and cheesy love-lorn lines aren't enough for me to truly believe in a couple and their relationship. I honestly didn't even ship Eva with Gideon because they felt so commonplace. They had so many problems and even though they managed to work it out, I didn't FEEL anything for them. 

I hated the addition of unnecessary conflicts from various females such as Corinne and Anne. To be quite honest, I didn't even know who Anne was for half the book. It felt so random and stupid and something that was already dealt with in previous books and didn't need to be brought back again. Thankfully, Brett was barely here but it also ruined my opinion of him in the previous books because I was expecting him to play a bigger role in the story. 

This book was full of useless blither blather. It wasn't too long but was mostly unnecessary. It felt like the author had run out of things to say about the two characters but was making up unrealistic conflicts to sum up another novel in a series that should have been left as a trilogy. I would so much rather have had it end before this book because it's causing me to not feel as excited to finish the series out when it could have been done two books ago. 

I would recommend this book to readers looking for an intense romance novel with tons of drama.

Main Character: Eva, Gideon
Sidekick(s): Friends, family, etc
Villain(s): Past mistakes, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments