The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Elite - Kiera Cass - UPDATED REVIEW

The Elite by Kiera Cass
Amazon.com: The Elite (The selection Book 2) eBook: Cass, Kiera: Kindle  StoreGenre: YA Dystopian


Blurb (on back of book): The Selection began with thirty-five girls. Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?
America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Elite know exactly what they want—and America's chance to choose is about to slip away.

old review

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: ***

America's indecisiveness was the culminating factor of this book that led me to lower my previous five-star rating to a three-star one this time around. America really needs to choose between Aspen and Maxon. Every other chapter she would go back and forth between them, each time saying "No one is like Aspen" or "I couldn't imagine my life without Maxon." Like, girl, you need to choose. Otherwise you are leading both of them on and affecting the country of Illea as a whole at the same time since one of the men is a PRINCE.

I adore Maxon Schreave with my entire heart. We learn so much more about his character in this book and are exposed to more parts of his life, including the good and the bad. That boy deserves love and if America can't give her her whole heart, I honestly want her to leave. Maxon deserves the world. Yes, he's made mistakes and has done awful things (eg. Marlee's punishment) but we can't blame him for doing his duty. He strives to make things less awful for people because he has lived through traumatic experiences of his own.

Aspen annoyed me throughout the whole book. He's very obviously not the better choice even if he was America's first love. He cares a lot about America but he honestly felt very possessive and almost manipulative at times throughout the book, trying to make everything into a competition and getting jealous if America spent time with the prince, which was the entire point of her being there. I ship Aspen and Lucy, though, because I think they would make a cute couple; however, I forget how it all ends so I'm not sure what happens with Aspen.

I despised most of the other girls. Obviously, it's a competition so the girls wouldn't be the nicest people to each other but I hated the way that they treated each other and Maxon. Some of them were only there for the crown, not Maxon himself, which I personally despised. Celeste in particular was a supreme bitch but that's to be expected. We always need a character like her in these Bachelor-esque plots. I also despised Kriss, not because she was rude, but because of the obvious pleasure she got from the fact that she was beating America. I understand that this is a normal response to winning something but the way she flaunted it while also pretending to be a nice girl grated on my nerves.

I liked getting to learn more about the rebels in this book. It featured a lot more action than the previous one while also not straying from the main plot. I also liked how America challenged the caste system, despite the ramifications of her decision. It's admirable in a queen or ruler to have someone speak up about the injustices of the country instead of just ignoring them and letting them stay just because it's "how it's always been". I don't think she should have said it the way she did but I appreciate where she was coming from.

I love Queen Amberly but I wish she would speak up more against her husband. I hated the king and I hope he doesn't become a large obstacle in the next book, though I'm sure he will. The maids, Anne, Mary, and Lucy, were adorable and loyal and I loved them.

Overall, the book is an interesting read but not my favorite of the series due to America's fickleness. I would recommend it to readers looking for a cute romance novel set in a dystopian fantasy world.

Main Character: America
Sidekick(s): Maxon, Aspen, Anne, Mary, Lucy, Marlee, etc
Villain(s): Other girls, King, etc
Dystopian Elements: This book was set in a futuristic world.

Comments