The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

After We Fell - Anna Todd - UPDATED REVIEW

After We Fell by Anna Todd
Genre: NA Realistic Fiction

Image result for after we fellBlurb (on back of book): Book 3 of the After series—newly revised and expanded, Anna Todd's After fanfiction racked up 1 billion reads online and captivated readers across the globe. Experience the internet's most talked-about book for yourself from the writer Cosmopolitan called “the biggest literary phenomenon of her generation.”
Tessa and Hardin’s love was complicated before. Now it’s more confusing than ever. AFTER WE FELL...Life will never be the same. #HESSA
Just as Tessa makes the biggest decision of her life, everything changes. Revelations about first her family, and then Hardin’s, throw everything they knew before in doubt and makes their hard-won future together more difficult to claim.
Tessa’s life begins to come unglued. Nothing is what she thought it was. Not her friends. Not her family. The one person she should be able to rely on, Hardin, is furious when he discovers the massive secret she’s been keeping. And rather than being understanding, he turns to sabotage.
Tessa knows Hardin loves her and will do anything to protect her, but there’s a difference between loving someone and being able to have them in your life. This cycle of jealousy, unpredictable anger, and forgiveness is exhausting. She’s never felt so intensely for anyone, so exhilarated by someone’s kiss—but is the irrepressible heat between her and Hardin worth all the drama? Love used to be enough to hold them together. But if Tessa follows her heart now, will it be...the end?

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: ****

It's been a while since I've written a book review and I've been procrastinating so don't expect too much out of me.

I loved this book (as per usual) but again, I felt like there was something missing in it compared to the first one. I realize that they are very problematic but I do believe that there is a character arc going on that allows me to think that Hardin isn't as bad as he once was.

The relationship between Tessa and Hardin is complicated, to say the least. Both of them emotionally abuse the other. I would like to point out that it isn't just Hardin, as many say, but it is in fact both of them. Just because Tessa is the girl doesn't mean she can't be emotionally abusive to Hardin, which she is to a fairly large extent.

Tessa plays with Hardin's feelings way too much. We all know how problematic and broken that boy is and sometimes, it really feels as if Tessa doesn't care. However, we are so quick to judge Hardin's character when Tessa is doing the same thing right back. I'm not making excuses for either of them but I think we shouldn't be so quick to blame.

I do love the character maturation in Tessa, though. Before, she was an innocent, naive good girl and I think that now she is stronger and braver. That's important especially in a relationship like the one that she has with Hardin.

Zed. Can I even speak about him? I think the first time I read this series, I genuinely liked him but when rereading, I just had such a strong dislike for him, especially because of his interference with Hessa. It makes no sense as to why he has to go after a girl who is already in a relationship. He's not right for Tessa, even if he thinks he is better than Hardin, and that's a fact.

Tessa's parents need some therapy or something because they really need a reality check.

I love Tessa and Hardin. I'm sorry but it's true. They will forever be one of my favorite couples in that they have such a strong relationship. Yes, it is not the best and yes, it is quite toxic, but I do think that they had a real relationship built on love. They might not do the best things towards each other but they do truly love each other and that's really important.

I hate Steph. I'm sorry. She is the most despicable person I've ever heard of. What is actually wrong with her? Every time I read about her I wanted to barf because of how disgusting of a person she was.

I love Kimberly. She may be annoying but I loved the friendship that she had with Tessa.

I love Landen because of how nice and supportive he was. I want a friend like him in my life.

Note that this was originally a One Direction fanfiction on Wattpad *haha*.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a romantic, Wattpad-esque love story.

Main Character: Tessa, Hardin
Sidekick(s): Zed?, Ken, Kimberly, etc
Villain(s): Steph, abuse, alcohol, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life (though really it wasn't) :P

Comments