The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Nightfall - Shannon Messenger

Nightfall by Shannon Messenger
Genre: J/YA Fantasy

Image result for nightfall shannonBlurb (on back of book): Sophie Foster is struggling. Grieving. Scrambling. But she knows one thing: she will not be defeated.
The Neverseen have had their victories—but the battle is far from over. It’s time to change tactics. Make sacrifices. Reexamine everything. Maybe even time for Sophie to trust her enemies.
All paths lead to Nightfall—an ominous door to an even more ominous place—and Sophie and her friends strike a dangerous bargain to get there. But nothing can prepare them for what they discover. The problems they’re facing stretch deep into their history. And with time running out, and mistakes catching up with them, Sophie and her allies must join forces in ways they never have before.

MY OPINION: *****

It's been so long since I've read anything from this series that's new that it's kind of crazy.

This book, like all the others in the KOTLC series, was full of twists and turns, surprises and cliffhangers. Luckily for me, I have the next book and I don't have to wait another year to read it.

I meant to read this last year but just never got around to it but now that I did, I'm glad I managed to get through it.

Throughout the series, I've been a diehard Sophitz shipper. Like, I even have a forty-chapter fanfiction on the two of them together. But after reading this book, as much as I hate to say it, I may have switched lanes and become a Sokeefe shipper. Either way, whoever Sophie ends up with doesn't really matter to me anymore because out of the two main choices that she has, I honestly like both of them.

Moving on from that, this book dealt with a lot more complicated matters than the previous ones. Here we see just how corrupt all worlds are, even if they're fantasies full of rich elves. We're opened to the idea that nobody is perfect and that there are always going to be two sides: the good and the bad.

I loved how this book centered around family more than the others. I don't want to spoil anything but more than one family comes together and although nothing permanent comes of it, it's nice to see how a family can help you get through the hard things.

Keefe's family sucks. But I mean, his friends are his new family (especially Sophie ;) and I loved how friendship was brought into this whole idea of forming relationships to keep you happy and healthy.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by how much this series and its characters have developed. I would recommend it to readers looking for a fantasy series.

Main Character: Sophie
Sidekick(s): Fitz, Keefe, Biana, Tam, Linh, Dex, etc
Villain(s): Neverseen, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was based on fantasies.

Comments