The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Famous in Love - Rebecca Serle

Famous in Love by Rebecca Serle
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Now a series on Freeform starring Bella Thorne!
Image result for famous in love book"A must-read for anyone curious about life and love behind the scenes."--Bella Thorne, actor and author of Autumn Falls
When Paige Townsen gets plucked from high school obscurity to star in the movie adaptation of a blockbuster book series, her life changes practically overnight. Within a month, Paige has traded the quiet streets of her hometown for a bustling film set on the shores of Maui, and she is spending quality time with her costar Rainer Devon, one of People's Sexiest Men Alive. But when troubled star Jordan Wilder lands the role of the other point in the movie's famous love triangle, Paige's crazy new life begins to resemble her character's.
In this exciting tale of romance and drama, both on-and offscreen, Paige must adjust to a crazy new life without the daily support of her friends and family, while figuring out who she is--and who she wants--as the whole world watches.

MY OPINION: **

I am a HUGE fan of the TV series (though I really have to finish season 2). To be completely honest, maybe I shouldn't have started with the TV show (but to be fair, I had no idea it was based on a book. Maybe if I had known, I wouldn't have had such high expectations and it would have been different.

But in my opinion, the TV show is better.

There was NOTHING necessarily WRONG about this book. I think that the writing was not below average, if not a little simplistic, and the characters were likable and relatable, two things I try to look for when reading. So do I have a reason for the two-star rating??

Not really, no.

Something about it didn't click with me, whether it was a couple of scenes or, and I apologize in advance because this isn't the author's fault in the slightest, changes from the TV shows. I did get to know more of the characters by reading instead of watching and I learned more about Paige who definitely became a lot more interesting in the book. But all in all, it just wasn't my favorite.

Rainer Devon (swoon!) was definitely a dreamboat. However, I didn't ship him with Paige. GASP. I definitely should have. I always ship the main characters. But somehow I liked Jordan better (despite him not being a love interest of Paige's in the show). I don't know why but something about their romance felt forced and I feel like I would have liked it better if they had stayed friends. ANOTHER GASP

Jordan Wilder. While I am not used to seeing so much of him in the show, I definitely liked him and shipped him with Paige. In the second book, I hope their ship isn't entirely sunk. I LOVE JORDAN. He is sweet and brave and even if he is a little snarky, he has VERY GOOD REASONS to be. He's romantic and he's Paige's perfect opposite.

Jake (can't remember his last name...). Jake wasn't a love interest like in the TV show but instead stayed her best friend. I don't really like Jake in the show mostly because I ship Paige with Rainer in the TV show but I think that Jake became even more distant in this book. We learn that "he and Paige kissed once or twice" but ultimately they're just friends. He and Cassandra?? Not sure how I felt about that. I would have liked to see more chemistry between him and Paige though I do understand the whole distance/moving on idea.

Cassandra. She didn't strike me as best-friend material and I couldn't help but dislike her. I think both Paige and Cassandra overreacted about things.

ENDING

*SPOILERS*

I know there's a little more of the story in the second book but from what we know, it's Raige (beautiful ship name). I do plan on reading the rest of the story and seeing what happens but the whole concept of the book vs the TV show was a little different.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a quick romance about famous people!

Main Character: Paige
Sidekick(s): Rainer, Jordan, Jake, Cassandra, etc
Villain(s): Confusion, misunderstanding, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life

Comments