The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

If I Stay - Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Image result for if i stay bookGenre: YA Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): In an instant, Mia's whole world is shattered, leaving her only with questions.
What will happen if she leaves? If she loves? If she stays?
Heartbreaking, romantic, and ultimately filled with hope, this is a powerful story of love and loss, and finding the courage to make the right decision when your life is literally in your hands.

MY OPINION: *****

I really enjoyed this book.

The only other book that I've read by Gayle Formas was I Was Here and everyone told me that I needed to read If I Stay.

So I did.

Anyways, the book was about this girl named Mia. One day, her family (mom, dad, and little brother) wake up and decide to go on a trip to see some friends. Along the way, there happens to be a vehicle that happens to slam into them and kill her parents instantly and leave both Mia and Teddy in critical condition.

Basically, Mia finds herself out of her body and able to walk around and listen to people, etc.

Is it her soul? IDK but that's what it seemed like.

The thing I loved about this book was the multiple flashbacks and past events. They definitely made the book better and helped me to understand Mia's life.

AND ADAM. He was amazing, swoon-worthy, gorgeous. And talented. I loved him and his adoration for music was beautiful.

Generally, I don't like books that have music as a strong theme, but this time I was willing to ignore that and just enjoy the book and Mia's interests.

QUOTES:

"Adam invited me to see his band play. This was even worse than school. If I felt like a fish out of water in my family, I felt like a fish on Mars in Adam's circle. He was always surrounded by funky, lively people, by cute girls with dyed hair and piercings, by aloof guys who perked up when Adam rock-talked with them. I couldn't do the groupie thing." -Page 55

"And then we stopped talking for a while as Adam strummed an unfamiliar melody. I asked him what he was playing. 'I'm calling it 'The Girlfriend's-Going-To-Julliard-Leaving-My-Punk-Heart-in-Shreds Blues,'' he said, singing the title in an exaggeratedly twangy voice." -Page 212

"If you stay, I'll do whatever you want. I'll quit the band, go with you to New York. But if you need me to go away, I'll do that too. I was talking to Liz and she said maybe coming back to your old life would just be too painful, that maybe it'd be easier for you to erase us. And that would suck, but I'd do it. I can lose you like that if I don't lose you today. I'll let you go. If you stay." -Page 231

That last quote was beautiful, and not just because it was said by Adam. It just shows how much people cared about Mia and her life, and that she was loved by everyone and that everyone needed her in their lives, even if they weren't really in their lives.

Kim, her best friend, never really connected with me. Honestly, I didn't really like her. She seemed rude for some reason...

I can't wait to get my hands on the second book. Hopefully, I'll devour it in one day so I can leave a review here ASAP :D

I would recommend this book to people who like some drama, as well as some romance and hurt/comfort.

Main Character: Mia
Sidekick(s): Adam, Kim, etc
Villain(s): Death
Fiction Elements: This book was all highly fictional.

Comments