The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

NEED - Joelle Charbonneau

Need by Joelle Charbonneau
Genre: YA Dystopian
Image result for need book

Blurb (on back of book)What do you really need?
One by one, the teens in Nottawa, Wisconsin, join the newest, hottest networking site and answer one question: What do you need? A new iPhone? Backstage passes to a concert? In exchange for a seemingly minor task, the NEED site will fulfill your request. Everyone is doing it. So why shouldn’t you?
Kaylee Dunham knows what she needs—a kidney for her sick brother. She doesn’t believe a social networking site can help, but it couldn’t hurt to try.
Or could it?
After making her request, Kaylee starts to realize the price that will have to be paid for her need to be met. The demands the site makes on users in exchange for their desires are escalating, and so is the body count. Will Kaylee be able to unravel the mystery of who created the NEED network before it destroys them all?

MY OPINION: *****

WOW. O.O

What a crazy book! I loved it!

This is one of the books I loved that wasn't based on a romance, though there were some romantic elements... :D Anyways, I really enjoyed reading this book for multiple reasons.

First, there were SO many characters and it was kind of hard to keep track of them. That was my only complaint. Other than that, I enjoyed the rest of this book!

The book was about this social networking site that was geared for high schoolers and asked for them to submit a "NEED." Most of the kids asked for something like iPhones, concert tickets, or other miscellaneous items. I mean, they're just teens. What do you expect?

But the main character asked for a new kidney for her brother, who was sick.

That's a real need and it became a major difference from everyone else.

Kaylee was brave and determined, though I hated how she was so malleable and never fought back. She needed to let it all out. I also disliked how she was always confused about her own feelings, including how she felt about her best friend, Nate. Girl, you either like him or you don't. It's that simple. Well, I think it is :)

Ethan. HE HAD A MAJOR ISSUE. LIFE IS NOT A VIDEO GAME. I WANTED TO SCREAM AT HIM THE WHOLE TIME. Here is an excerpt from one of the chapters of his perspective:

"Just thinking about it gives him a massive rush... The mercenary trainer says that those with no fear are the ones who get sloppy... means you get dead or get caught... trill of success... the game... not that interesting...excitement of being a real-life Mercenary of War... I need another mission. The more dangerous the better..." -Page 80.
This is all being said after he almost gets caught digging a makeshift grave with DJ, Kaylee's brother. It's kind of hard to explain.

Ok, Ethan was my least favorite character. I also did not enjoy reading about Sydney. He had a major issue.

"His luck is holding... house goes up in flames... lucky streak..."     -Page 280 
Wow. He was almost as crazy as Ethan. How did this one website cause all of these kids to go insane??

Another thing that was an issue was the amount of deaths in this book. Honestly, this site killed about 12 people, I believe, and injured at least two or three more. Also, some dogs were killed and it was just insane.

I loved DJ. He was so sweet and cool. It's always the awesome characters who have to be sick...

Wow. The ending though. WHAT A CLIFFHANGER AND THERE IS NO SEQUEL O.O

I loved the budding romance between Nate and Kaylee. I felt bad for Hannah's unrequited love for Nate, though. That hurt for some reason. Also, here is a quote from Nate that I just LOVED. He is confessing to something... working with NEED.

"I took them up on their offer because I love you." The phone drops from my hand. Everything inside me squeezes until it feels like it's going to burst. "Did you hear what I said, Kaylee?" Nate asks, shifting his weight from foot to foot. He's off balance. Scared. So am I. "I love you." I step back. "I've loved you for forever. Since that day at the party with the cupcake when you didn't care about who my brother was [jerk] or how good he is at sports or how much my parents worship him." I can barely breathe. And Nate's words don't stop. "Loving you is the only really good thing about me." -Page 199

I LOVED THAT SCENE SO MUCH. IT GAVE ME CHILLS.

But I have to say, my favorite declaration of love was Simon to Clary in The Mortal Instruments. COME ON WHO AGREES TO ME. Though Clary + Jace = OTP

I also hated how Kaylee was never believed by her mother, the police, or anyone else. Just because she may have made some mistakes before doesn't mean anything.

Also, Kaylee's mom had some issues. Seriously. HOW DID DR. JAIN STAND TO BE AROUND HER??

Ok, anyways, that's it. I enjoyed reading this book SO much. I would recommend this to readers who like a little bit of futuristic elements, as well as the fact that there is a dystopian element in it.

Main Character: Kaylee
Sidekick(s): Nate, DJ, Bryan, etc
Villain(s): Sydney, Ethan, Dr. Jain, NEED, deaths, etc
Dystopian Elements: This was all futuristic and a little fanatic...

PS GUYS PLEASE RECOMMEND SOME BOOKS! I'M READY FOR A VERY FUN READING SUMMER!

Comments