The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Ignite Me - Taherah Mafi - UPDATED REVIEW

Ignite Me by Taherah Mafi
Amazon.com: Ignite Me (Shatter Me Book 3) eBook: Mafi, Tahereh ...Genre: YA Dystopian

Blurb (on back of book)With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: ****

I enjoyed this book quite a bit more than the previous two, to which I am thankful because I was contemplated quitting the series. I'm glad I read this one though, because it has provided incentive for me to read the next books and finish this series once and for all.

I personally did not understand the hype around this series in the first two books, but after this one, I'm starting to see why they are so loved. The writing was ten times more organized, proficient, and cleaner in terms of style and structure. The past books were full of strikethroughs, rambling sentences, lack of punctuation, and confusing and annoying metaphors. This one cleaned all of that up. There were barely any strikethroughs, which I believe is because Juliette has grown up and become a stronger, more confident version of herself. The writing was clearer and easier to read and it wasn't full of tens and hundreds of run-on sentences. There were also way less metaphors and the ones that were in there actually made sense this time around.

The biggest and best change in this book was the discovery of the real Warner. In the previous books, Juliette could only see Warner as a cruel, cold-hearted, soulless villain who killed with no remorse. He was her worst enemy and she hated him. She was infatuated with Adam Kent, the kind, protective, sweet boy. However, in this book we are truly introduced to Aaron Anderson, the real Warner.

What I truly loved most was that Aaron did not ask for forgiveness. He owned up to his mistakes and to his personality and didn't try to change anything about himself. He showed Juliette a side of him that was always there but was kept hidden in order to keep up the cool, calculated, cold persona that he was required to have to please his father, the supreme commander.

I love Aaron with all my heart. Through this book, we saw more of his vulnerable and emotional side as he tried to navigate through his love for Juliette. For her, he was willing to do anything, including saving and housing the surviving rebels, among which included Adam, his nemesis. He carried scars, both physically and emotionally, that he tried to hide from Juliette and I'm glad that he finally let her in to relieve some of the pain that he must have been feeling.

In contrast, I had a strong dislike for Adam. The past version of myself hated him but I have started to slightly understand where he's coming from. Still, I couldn't like him, no matter how hard I tried. He was egotistical, mean, cruel, and selfish. I understand that he was navigating through a broken heart. I understand that he was in love with someone that didn't love him back. I understand that Juliette had ripped his heart out and broken it into pieces. However, this does not excuse his actions or his words towards her or anyone else. To say that you were happier believing someone was dead is disgusting. Adam needed a reality check. I'm glad that he finally started to grasp the fact that the Juliette he loved doesn't exist anymore.

Adam has a need to protect and defend someone. He wanted a weak, submissive, pathetic little girl like Juliette once was so that he could protect her and unleash his dominant side. He couldn't accept the fact that Juliette not only didn't love him anymore, but she also didn't need him to fight her battles for her anymore. She has grown so much throughout this series and she's finally embracing her power instead of hiding it. Adam couldn't accept that and it caused him to lash out towards her. This is unacceptable. Juliette even admits that she doesn't believe that she ever actually loved Adam in the first place but just was in love with the fact that there was someone out there who could touch her and be with her the way that she had always wanted.

Adam's refusal to tell Aaron that they were brothers frustrated me. Aaron had nobody left in his life. Adam could have helped that but he let his hatred blind him. Even in the end when he decides that he wants to try to know his brother better, he still was unable to redeem himself in my eyes.

Kenji is an icon. I love him with all my heart. He adds just the right amount of comedic relief that a book this action-packed needed. I admired his strength, loyalty, bravery, and power even in the face of death. I also really hope he gets a girlfriend soon haha.

James is an absolute sweetheart.

Aaron and Juliette could conquer the world together and I would not complain.

I have yet to ever read the next books in the series so I am quite excited to see how they go. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a dystopian series full of action and romance.

Main Character: Juliette
Sidekick(s): Aaron, James, Kenji, Adam (ish) etc
Villain(s): Supreme Commander, etc
Dystopian Elements: This book was set in a futuristic version of the world.

Comments