The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Heir of Fire - Sarah J Maas

Heir of Fire by Sarah J Maas
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for heir of fireBlurb (on back of book): Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak―but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life―and her future―forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?
The bestselling series that has captured readers all over the world reaches new heights in this sequel to the New York Times best-selling Crown of Midnight. Packed with heart-pounding action, fierce new characters, and swoon-worthy romance, this third book will enthrall readers from start to finish.

MY OPINION: ****

I finally finished this book! It only took a month or so...

Well. This was definitely refreshing. This series has definitely evolved since the first book and I know that we have a ton of books to go but for now, I think that this book has definitely provided me with enough incentive to continue and ultimately finish.

YAY WE HAVE NEW CHARACTERS

Rowan. Can we talk about the god that is Rowan Whitethorn?! Celaena and Rowan have a very rocky start but as we all could have guessed, they end up learning to appreciate (and maybe love!) each other. This is a very promising potential match (though I miss Chaol :|). I'm excited to see more! Rowan is so committed to everything and he's strong, hot, and everything that you could ask for in a love interest for somebody like Celaena.

Manon. I'm pretty sure she was new and if she wasn't, we definitely saw a lot more of her. I kind of cheated and read/heard a couple of spoilers and I know she becomes a lot more important but I didn't completely love her chapters. They felt more like filler chapters that were building up to something but we don't know what yet. Her character seems fierce and hard but I'm sure she has a soft side. Her wyvern, Abraxos, was so strong and brave!

Sorscha. I don't know how I felt about her ending but from what we saw of her in this one book, she seemed very sweet and yet, she also seemed complicated and I'm sure we'll find out more of her though it will be posthumously...

Maeve. Well... I'm not sure how I felt about her but I definitely think she's going to become crucial to the plot in the future. For now, she's Celaena's almost-evil Fae aunt.

Aedion. I hated him at first but I learned never to believe first impressions because by the end, I was praying for his survival. I hope that he lasts long enough to fight with Celaena or at least see her again.

AND THEN WE HAVE OUR NORMAL CAST

Celaena/Aelin is strong and fierce as usual and she definitely has learned to utilize her magic and full potential to its limits, with the help of Rowan. I think she's stubborn and proud but she's also not unwilling to ask for help and knows when her body has reached its limits (sometimes).

Chaol. NOOOO I LOVE HIM AND HE FELT SO MINOR TO THIS STORY AND NOOO!! Yeah, that's all I have to say about him.

Dorian. He definitely has matured and he's also learned to utilize his own powers. His emotions, especially anger, pain, and sadness definitely fuel him on.

ENDING
This book was definitely more of a filler book in which Celaena learns the necessary skills she's going to need in the evitable war that this book was building up to. Considering that there are a gazillion more books in this series, I'm sure that we have a lot more adventure, action, and drama looming on the horizon!

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a fantasy read with a fierce independent female protagonist!

Main Character: Celaena
Sidekick(s): Rowan, Chaol, Dorian, etc
Villain(s): Maeve, king, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was all based on fantasy (characters, setting, etc).

Comments