The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Just One Year - Gayle Forman

Just One Year by Gayle Forman
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): Just One Day. Just One Year. Just One Read.
Image result for just one yearBefore you find out how their story ends, remember how it began....
When he opens his eyes, Willem doesn’t know where in the world he is—Prague or Dubrovnik or back in Amsterdam. All he knows is that he is once again alone, and that he needs to find a girl named Lulu. They shared one magical day in Paris, and something about that day—that girl—makes Willem wonder if they aren’t fated to be together. He travels all over the world, from Mexico to India, hoping to reconnect with her. But as months go by and Lulu remains elusive, Willem starts to question if the hand of fate is as strong as he’d thought. . . .
The romantic, emotional companion to Just One Day, this is a story of the choices we make and the accidents that happen—and the happiness we can find when the two intersect.

MY OPINION: ***

Did I completely forget to write this review? Yes. Do I have a legitimate excuse? Unfortunately not.

I could have sworn I already did it but apparently, I haven't. Considering that I read this book a few days ago and since then have been reading other books, I have a small recollection of what I wanted to say about this book. Alas, since it was a library book, I don't even have a physical copy with me.

What am I going to do? Write a short review (it's kind of a relief since I have to do another one right after this).

I liked Just One Day a lot better than this book. I think that by the time I got around to this book, I just got tired of the story. Yes, maybe it was a different character's perspective and maybe it was a completely different story but I was basically done with the characters and their lives and I wanted it to be over with.

I can't say I hated the book because it had an immense amount of gorgeously written details and dialogue and quotes and Shakespeare and I really did like it. It's just at times, it was almost tiring to read and I often found myself taking breaks to read a different book at the same time.

Willem was a character I would have liked to read from in the first book and I think that it would have made this book that much better if it had had his perspective of the one day with Lulu. I would have liked to see what he was thinking and feeling.

I think the main problem I had with this book was the fact that I waited for so long, reading through two books, only to get one or two pages of an ending. I would have liked to see more and if another book came out about what happened after the same ending of both books, I would definitely read it.

To be honest, I think I admired Willem a lot more in the first book than in this one. I don't know but something was off about him here, like he had changed from the mysterious, romantic, whimsical person from the first book and became a blander character. He lost his voice.

I would have loved more character, more plot, and more substance, but overall, it wasn't horrible and I did like the writing style and technique. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a second chance at Lulu and Willem's story or just for a nice "adventure" read.

Main Character: Willem
Sidekick(s): Katie, Broodje, Yael, etc
Villain(s): Misunderstanding, wrong times, mystery, searching, lost, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all real to life.

Comments