The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Consequence of Loving Colton - Rachel Van Dyken

The Consequence of Loving Colton by Rachel Van Dyken
Genre: NA Realistic Fiction

Blurb (on back of book): My name is Milo Caro and I have a confession to make.
See the source imageI’ve been in love with Colton Mathews since I was five. He should have known that sharing a cookie with a sugar obsessed little monster would do the trick–it sealed his fate. So really, the fact that he’s sporting a black eye, a limp, almost got ran over by a car, and was nearly responsible for another person’s death? Right. HIs fault. Not mine. 
I made a pact with myself–this weekend would be different. I’d come home for my brothers wedding, smile, and Colton would naturally melt into my arms, we’d get married have five kids, live in a house by the river, and get a dog named scratch (clearly I’ve thought this through).
What really happened? I punched my brother in the face, Colton kissed me and apologized, I lied about having a boyfriend, oh and everyone wants to meet the mystery man. 
They say laughter always comes before insanity–ha, ha. All I wanted was my brother’s best friend…instead I’m sitting in prison. 
Let this be a lesson to you all…life rarely happens the way you want it to. 
Damn cookie.

MY OPINION: ***

I read this book online from some random website that I happened to find. So... I'm not sure if what I read was everything I was supposed to read or if there were mistakes but I got the general gist of it.

This book was so FUNNY. It was written in that simple, cliche-type, hilarious writing that made it easy and fun to read. I really enjoyed the writing style!

The first half of this book was actually very enjoyable. I loved it and I loved the angst and reading from Colton's and Milo's perspectives, though I absolutely loved Colton. I loved most of the beginning.

However, as the book went on, I started to grow bored. It was too much about marriage and to be honest, some of it got a little crazy. Like, at some points, I didn't even know what was happening because it was so outrageous. LIKE WHAT WAS UP WITH THAT GRANDMA LIKE WHAT??

I had mixed feelings about Milo, herself. She was supposed to be 21, I believe, but I thought she acted like a teenager at some points. She was very immature at some points and I thought that her whole character was very confusing.

Colton was a dreamboat who I thoroughly loved. His reactions to everything were hilarious and I shared his antipathy towards Max. He was sweet, he was hilarious...

Max was so ANNOYING. However, I like how he broke the tension and was always there. BUT HE KEPT INTERRUPTING EVERYTHING AND IT WAS SO IRRITATING

Jason was funny though he was more of a supporting character than anything else.

I had a lot of mixed feelings about this book and I definitely didn't love the ending but I give it a solid 3 stars and plan to continue the series!

Main Character: Milo
Sidekick(s): Colton, Max, Jason, etc
Villain(s): Unrequited love, misunderstandings, GRANDMA, Jayne, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: Most of this book was very real to life!

Comments