The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

To All the Boys I've Loved Before - Jenny Han - UPDATED VERSION

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction/Romance

Image result for to all the boys I've loved beforeBlurb (on back of book)To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

MY OPINION: *****

This is my second time reading this book and my second review!

I loved this book SO much, like I did before. I mean, before, I feel as if I was naive and didn't understand a lot of it, but now I feel as if I am a more mature and understanding reader, and I definitely took in a lot more information that I didn't understand before. This definitely made the book even better. I love it!

I remember this book so well from last October, I believe, but like I said, there was stuff that I missed before that I think made this second time much better. 

Lara Jean. She wasn't my favorite character, but she also wasn't my least favorite. I mean, she was just so innocent and it seemed as if she was going to break down and cry every five seconds! She always threatened to cry, saying stuff along the lines of "if you keep doing that then I'm going to cry!". I feel as if by sixteen going on seventeen you should be able to "man up" or in this case "woman up". Lara Jean was also really whiny as well which was slightly annoying, but Lara Jean was also really strong at some points. She had to deal with A LOT and the stuff she was put through was crazy!! I'm pretty sure I couldn't have gone though it without screaming my head off. Lara Jean was also put under a lot of pressure when her older sister was gone and she was left being the woman figure with no mom.

The way the mom died was so HARSH and SAD!!! I felt so bad reading it. Why do such bad things always have to happen? The way was very original though.

Anyways, Lara Jean was also put under pressure when her love letters got sent out and etc...

Yeah.

Margot. Was I the only one who hated her? I mean, at the end, I sort of liked her a bit better, but Margot as a character and a person annoyed me. She was so bossy and was a big know-it-all who was also a jerk to her boyfriend. I mean, if I were Josh, I would have done the exact same thing: NEVER GET BACK WITH HER. Margot was also really rude to her sisters, although she was played out to be loving! I didn't get her, and she also had a bad attitude. She changed a LOT when she went to Scotland and I hated it.

Kitty. So rude and had a bad attitude. But I liked how immature she was and how she also brightened the mood a lot all the time. She was hilarious! I also liked how attached she was to Peter and Josh. She was also very stubborn, determined, and adamant, which was funny to see in a nine-year-old character.

Josh. I liked him, but am I the only one who thought of him as a "grown-up" instead of a senior in high school? He just seemed so mature and old. I also feel as if he was just a normal, kind of geeky dude who liked to hang out with girls. It was strange. The tea party scene made me laugh so hard.

Peter. I loved him from the start. He was made out to be a "player" or a "popular" kid, but he was just a normal guy, with a normal family, kind of, and normal friends. Sure, he hung out with the popular kids and dated Gen for forever, but he also seemed like a nice kid who just didn't always know what decisions to make. I did hate how he kept going back to Gen ALL THE TIME. Just give her up already! Can't you see she's a big jerk? Or are you too blinded by so-called "love" to see it? But yet, I still liked Peter. He seemed so unsure of himself. He was one of those people who always try to meet everyone else's standards instead of his own. He was super nice though.

Gen. Evil annoying character who is definitely the antagonist of the book. She was so annoying and sickening, and I hated how she felt as if she ruled over Peter. PETER LIVES HIS OWN LIFE! Gen was also so stupid and her ways of getting back at someone were WAY extreme and should have gotten her expelled!

Ok, enough with that.

I hate how the ending was so obvious. It was really obvious that Kitty sent the letters. I mean, no one else would do something like that. It was even more obvious when they have a fight right before the event happened! God, Kitty needs to chill!

The ending wasn't that bad like everyone says. What was so bad about it? Sure, it ended at a cliffhanger and maybe it was a little cliche, but that's to be expected of a beautiful contemporary novel! Ok?

I also didn't like how Margot thought that she was going to be able to easily get back Josh after being so rude. Besides, he likes her sister! OK?? She needs to move on! She was the one who got scared!

Yeah, so the weird scene in the hot tub wasn't cringy, ok? I mean, I'm reading the second book, and trust me, that one scene comes up a LOT, at least in the beginning, but it wasn't that bad! Ok??

Ok, so I'm going to cut this short. I know it's not the usual length, but I'm going to start writing shorter reviews from now on so as not to overload you. Thanks for reading and please comment! I would recommend this book to YA romance lovers or contemporary readers!

Main Character: Lara Jean
Sidekick(s): Josh, Kitty, Margot, Peter, Chris, etc
Villain(s): Gen, love, misunderstanding, fights, etc
Realistic Fiction/Romance Elements: This book was a realistic fiction novel with real to life parts and it featured a romance. Or a lot of them.

Comments