The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for clockwork angelBlurb (on back of book)When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by and torn between two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

MY OPINION: *****

***This is updated from the original***

I really enjoyed this book, which was unexpected because I was hesitant to read it. I have read most of The Mortal Instruments so reading a prequel series sounded boring. I already knew what was going to happen, so there was no point. Then again, I read those a while ago, and after reading this, I know I definitely forgot a lot of information.

I read this because I am planning to reread TMI and I didn't want to read this after, seeing as it was the sequel.

I loved it! The plot was so fun, the characters were well-drawn, and the book was just amazing!

I did hate the fact that Will and Jem both have such a strong influence on Tessa. But I can totally understand why she is so confused about her feelings. I honestly can't decide which is the two I like better. Jem is so kind and he has a big heart, while Will is funny but also cold and keeps himself locked away. It's annoying. I can't decide! If I HAD to, it would probably be Jem... But Will is so awesome!! This is impossible!

I can't tell who Tessa likes better either. She spends more time with Jem, but she has a "crush" on Will. THAT ENDING THOUGH.

I liked how this plot kept me reading on and on and on, despite being quite confusing at times. I mean, there were WAY too many characters to keep track of, which I think might have been done purposefully in order to deter the readers and surprise them at the end. Honestly, a lot of this was hard to follow, but the author made up for it by making the story itself interesting. The writing is SO detailed, though, and after a while, the descriptions do tend to get boring. A little. There is a LOT of description.

Tessa. What can I even say about her? I dislike how she never believed in herself and just succumbed to Will and basically everyone else so easily. She is WAY too trusting, but you know...characters tend to be like that.

It was so obvious that Nate was a bad guy. There had to be one and Tessa, like I said, was way too trusting. It was kind of easy to see.
Another thing that was easy to see was that Mortmain was the Magister. The Magister is totally not de Quincy because the authors tend to leave RED HERRINGS THAT ARE WAY TOO OBVIOUS. 


Will's talk with Tessa at the end.. I was so happy! And then so sad. And then angry. Why was he so mean to her? She definitely had a crush on him and he had a crush on her, but he doesn't want to admit it. Why? What has happened to him in order to make him so untrusting?

Will was annoying at times. He was cold and kept himself locked up inside of himself all of the time. Whenever he got close to Tessa, he backed away so fast, I didn't have enough time to even process what had happened. He is smart and apparently handsome though, but I'm not sure that that makes up for it.

Jem. So sweet, but yet his "disability" was quite sad. But I think he is going to find a way to fix it. I don't want to say it's obvious, because if he doesn't, I will look like an idiot, but I can say that I hope he finds a cure.

Charlotte. Annoying but sweet. Same goes for Sophie.

Henry. I disliked him as a character and he was annoying. What is wrong with him? How can he be so stupid?

Sophie and Agatha? Who sees The School for Good and Evil in this...

Kk, gotta click off. Sorry for short review and for any possible typos. My auto correct on my phone is acting up and I am RUSHING. GOODBYE!!

Comments