The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Defy Me - Taherah Mafi

Defy Me by Taherah Mafi
Genre: YA Dystopian

Amazon.com: Defy Me (Shatter Me) (9780062676399): Mafi, Tahereh: BooksBlurb (on back of book): The gripping fifth installment in the New York Times, USA Today, and Publishers Weekly bestselling Shatter Me series. Will Juliette’s broken heart make her vulnerable to the strengthening darkness within her?
Juliette’s short tenure as the supreme commander of North America has been an utter disaster. When the children of the other world leaders show up on her doorstep, she wants nothing more than to turn to Warner for support and guidance. But he shatters her heart when he reveals that he’s been keeping secrets about her family and her identity from her—secrets that change everything.
Juliette is devastated, and the darkness that’s always dwelled within her threatens to consume her. An explosive encounter with unexpected visitors might be enough to push her over the edge.

MY OPINION: ****

I actually loved this book. I personally think it was the best of the series so far. I was not the biggest fan of the first couple of books but I am liking it more and more as the series progresses. Sadly, we only have one left and I've heard it's not the best but I'll see.

SO much happened and the entire book my jaw was dropped and I was shocked by everything I was learning. The series was initially supposed to be a trilogy so I assume that these books had to add some sort of shock factor to give them an actual plot beyond the original three. However, I was not at all ready for everything that we learned in this book.

Juliette and Warner are my absolute favorite. Scratch that, I meant ELLA and AARON. It feels so weird to call her Ella but I've started to gradually get used to it.

Protect Kenji at all costs. We finally got to see several chapters from his point of view and I loved learning more about his character and seeing how sad and lonely he truly is since we have only thus far seen him hiding behind his mask of humor. I also LOVE Kenji and Nazeera and ship them so hard. I hope they end up together and Kenji gets his happy ending because that boy truly deserves it.

Adam has kind of disappeared from the series, which I'm not really complaining about but seeing as he was such a huge character in the first couple of books, I expected more from his character as well as James. He was only mentioned a couple of times and other than that, his character basically was nonexistent. I hope he and Ella can become friends again because their relationship is completely changed now.

This book was more of a filler novel than anything. This made it fairly short and easy to read. I read it fairly quickly considering how many other books I was reading at the same time. We don't see too much action and the plot is mostly uneventful. It was more of a book that revealed all of the secrets and stunned readers with multiple revelations piled upon each other about Aaron and Ella. It was very interesting to learn how they had always been drawn to each other ever since a young age because it truly shows how they were meant to be and I loved that for them. It dumped a lot of information on the reader that was kind of hard to wrap my head around but I found everything pretty interesting and enthralling so I wasn't that worried about it. A lot of people don't like the sudden influx of so much info but I was okay with it.

I hope the last book features someone else's perspective because I think it would be interesting to see the book from Nazeera's POV. I'm usually not the biggest fan of authors suddenly thrusting random's characters' perspectives as the books progress but this one was quite interesting and I hope that happens again. I have yet to start the last one so I'm not sure yet.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a dystopian novel with a strong female lead and full of drama and romance.

Main Character: Ella, Aaron, Kenji
Sidekick(s): Nazeera, Adam, James, Castle, etc
Villain(s): Anderson, secrets, other Supreme Commanders, etc
Dystopian Elements: This book was set in a futuristic world.

Comments