The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Clockwork Prince - Cassandra Clare - UPDATED REVIEW

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Amazon.com: Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices) (9781481456012 ...Blurb (on back of book): In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street—and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa’s powers for his own dark ends.
With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister’s war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move—and that one of their own has betrayed them.
Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, but her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will—the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?
As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: *****

I absolutely adore this book. In every possible way, shape, and form, this book will forever be on my favorites list. This is my second time reading it and I loved it just as much as the first time, if not more so.

Tessa is stronger, more independent, more mature, and braver. I admired her courage and her loyalty to her friends, despite her still holding on to just a bit of childlike naivety. She started to listen more to herself and stopped letting other people control her life and get to her, especially Will.

William Herondale. My favorite male character of any book ever. I adore Will in every possible way. I love his bad side, his good side, his sweet side, his sarcastic side. I love everything about him. My poor broken boy. He deserved so much better. The pain he must have gone through for such a large amount of his life breaks my heart. Just like the first time I read this book, I was so close to crying at the end for my poor boy.

James "Jem" Carstairs. When first reading this book, I did not like Jem. However, my feelings for him have completely changed. While he will never live up to the angel that is William Herondale, my heart broke for poor Jem as well. He's such a kind, sweethearted boy, despite the pain and suffering he is living with. While I don't ship him at all with Tessa, I appreciated the fact that she was there for him to ease some of his pain. I love James, even though I know he will be hurt in the end.

I loved Sophie and Gideon's relationship. It's something that should be wrong but feels so right. I honestly forgot all about them and I was happy to see them come together. Even though I don't like Sophie's character, I'm glad that she found someone who can look past her scar and her mundane self and just love her for who she is.

I read this book three years ago and honestly forgot a fair amount of the plot. I loved the world building. I could imagine myself in Victorian London fighting demons and saving the world alongside Will, Jem, and Tessa. I also loved the whole uniqueness of the plot itself, especially with the clockwork creatures. I have never read anything like that before and I loved it.

Magnus Bane is an icon.

Cassandra Clare is such a talented writer, evoking emotions and feelings throughout the entire book. You will suffer and cry and laugh along with the characters. I love the writing style and the plot. I'm also not the biggest fan of action and this book balanced it with just the right amount of action (meaning there was a scant amount that could tide action-lovers over but also not overwhelm and bore other readers). I would recommend this book to all readers looking for a beautifully-written fantasy romance.

Main Character: Tessa
Sidekick(s): Will, Jem, Sophie, Charlotte, Henry, Gideon, etc
Villain(s): Mortmain, Nate, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book was based in a fantasy world with fantasy creatures, demons, and plot.

Comments