The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare - UPDATED REVIEW

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Fantasy

Amazon.com: Clockwork Angel (1) (The Infernal Devices ...Blurb (on back of book): In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

UPDATED REVIEW
MY OPINION: *****

This is my second time reading this series and I loved it! I keep seeing these books everywhere and I thought I might as well refresh my memory of them since they are my favorites from Cassandra Clare. I have read almost all of her books and as I'm waiting for her next one, I'm rereading some of my favorites of hers. I last read this series in 2017 and seeing as it's been three years, I think it's long overdue. 

One thing that always lets me know a book is good is if I can't put it down. I read this via Kindle and I could not stop thinking about it every time I wasn't reading it. I had an urge to keep reading and finish the book, especially because I had forgotten almost everything and wasn't completely sure of what was going to happen in the end. 

My favorite male character of any book has always been Will Herondale and rereading this has only further cemented that fact. William Herondale is my beautiful, broken, devilish, perfect boy. The relationship between him and Tessa was so beautifully tragic that it made my heart hurt. SPOILER I do know how they end and about the curse by the demon but at the moment, I am sitting on the edge of my seat hoping they will end up together END SPOILER I hate that he puts on a front to block himself off from feeling anything for anyone when he obviously loves someone. I am very biased towards Will so everything he said, every cruel word or action, I forgave him for because I do know the reasons behind everything he does since I've read this series before. 

Jem Carstairs. I used to dislike Jem for some reason. I think I just didn't like the relationship he had with Tessa because of how much I prefer Will. However, I wanted to cry for my strong, kind, genuine boy. I just wanted to give him a hug and let him know that people are there for him. SPOILER I remember he becomes a Silent Brother in the end but not much else so I'm not very sure how he lives through his sickness END SPOILER I hate how he feels criticized for his addiction when it's something he cannot change about himself if he wants to stay alive. He was so sweet and perfect and though I don't ship him with Tessa, I hope he finds happiness in the end. 

Tessa Gray. She's so naive and innocent but at the same time so strong and determined. She gives off a childish vibe for some reason but I rooted for her the whole time all the same. She is fiercely loyal and loves deeply and truly, especially for her brother. Of course, this love is her vulnerability and what makes her blind to some of the more sinister plots that are going on. I apparently also disliked her the first time around but I think I was simply too judgmental of how trusting and vulnerable she is. I don't blame her for wanting to believe in her brother or in Will and I felt sorry for her when she kept getting let down by the people around her. 

Her ability is very unique and I liked how Clare snuck it into the story. There's a lot of potential that comes with a shape-shifting character and I'm excited to see what else she can do with it in the next couple of books. 

I loved the plot of this book. A clockwork army has got to be one of the more original ideas that I've read in a long time. SPOILER It was quite obvious who the Magister was but it was interesting seeing how the characters figured it out in the end. END SPOILER I also loved the supernatural creatures that are always present in Clare's novels, such as the vampires and the Shadowhunters themselves. For some reason, the vampires in the Shadowhunter world always seem so different to me than the vampires from Twilight or The Vampire Diaries. They seem more like people instead of bloodthirsty monsters. I felt bad for De Quincy. Even though he did a lot of awful things, I don't think he deserved what he got. 

I will forgive Will for the way he treated Tessa only because I know what happens and his reasoning behind his actions. However, I do agree with other reviews that their relationship is almost emotionally abusive because of the way that he speaks to her. However, they're my ride or die couple so I'm willing to ignore it just this once (don't hate me).

I loved that this book was set in Victorian London. I have a strong desire to move to Europe after reading and learning so much about it and I loved learning about a past era of England. The historical aspect of this book really sealed the deal for me!

I loved the side characters. Sophie, Charlotte, Agatha, Thomas, Henry, and Jessamine were all so well-drawn despite not being the main characters. I really saw personalities, depth, wants and desires, and weaknesses in all of them! I'm interested in seeing how they turn out by the end of this book!

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a historical fantasy romance! Warning: there is a love triangle, which I know many don't like but I'm a sucker for. 

Main Character: Tessa
Sidekick(s): Will, Jem, Sophie, Jessamine, Charlotte, etc
Villain(s): Magister, clockwork army, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book had supernatural creatures and a fantasy plot. 

Comments