The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J. Maas

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas
Image result for a court of wings and ruinsGenre: YA/NA Fantasy

Blurb (on back of book): Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.
Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.
As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 
In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.

MY OPINION: ****

I just wrote an ENTIRE review and it just deleted so I'm having a great day.

ANYWAYS, I had a fun time reading this book even though it took me two months. I started reading this before school even began and I think it's amazing how time flies. I took forever to read this book, mainly because I've been spending every waking hour studying for AP and Honors classes. High school isn't the most fun place. I also had to return this book to the library a couple of times and wait for it to come back, and then reread the beginning section because I had forgotten what had happened.

You get the point.

So, after what feels like forever, I have finally finished this book and I'm glad that I did. It was just what I needed to get my mind off of some of the stress that I have been overloaded with from school and just life in general.

I did feel as if there was something off about this book compared to the first two however, but I don't quite know what it was missing. I just felt like some spark had disappeared. This is not to say that the book was by any means bad, because it most certainly wasn't.

We got a lot of integration of the previously-minor characters, most especially Nesta and Elain, Feyre's sisters. While I know that they became integral parts of the plot, I didn't see the need for them. I thought it was unnecessary to add them into the book this late in the series when previously they didn't really matter until the end of the second book.

Rhysand is a god and there's nothing more to say about it. He's strong, fierce, powerful, loving, caring, determined, and most of all, he's kind. That's hard to say in someone with such a high position of power but Rhysand is genuinely nice. He feels guilty about war, and worries about his friends to the point that he is willing to sacrifice himself for them. I loved the way that he balanced Feyre out and made her feel safe. My favorite thing about him was that he was not possessive or controlling. Yes, he was protective, but he always let her make her own decisions and choices, despite what he might personally think, which I find an admirable quality.

Feyre is more determined and braver than before, in my opinion. She has really matured and has taken on a leadership role with enough ease to effectively command her people. She is also kind and cares deeply about Rhysand, her sisters, her friends, and Velaris itself. I rarely like protagonists, but there wasn't too much wrong about her.

Tamlin almost redeemed himself in my eyes. I can't completely forgive him but I think that he's trying to make an effort and that what he did can be justified in the name of love to a point.

I loved Mor, Amren, Lucien, Cassian, and Azriel with all my heart. They're all such feisty, strong, and hilarious characters that really balanced out the dynamic between the group and I spent the whole time praying that they would all be safe.

Also... Cassian... and Nesta... *smirks*

Mor's confession (NO SPOILERS!) was very surprising to me personally. I don't know if it was just me or if it was other people, but I did not see that coming.

The ending and the ultimate battle was very well-written. I could visualize everything that was going on and I don't feel like it was rushed or skimpy, which I admire.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a beautiful, romantic, brave, adventurous fantasy novel.

Main Character: Feyre
Sidekick(s): Rhys, Nesta, Elain, Mor, Lucien, Cassian, Azriel, Amren, etc
Villain(s): Hybern, Tamlin?, etc
Fantasy Elements: This was all based in an imaginary kingdom with imaginary characters and features.

Comments