The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Textrovert - Lindsey Summers

Textrovert by Lindsey Summers
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Image result for textrovert
Blurb (on back of book): Can you fall in ♥ with someone you’ve never met?
Summer is nearly over and Keeley is about to start her senior year when disaster strikes: she picks up the wrong cell phone by mistake. Just her luck that it belongs to Talon, a totally arrogant jock  who’s just left for football camp—with her phone. Keeley doesn’t know him, but they’ll need to rely on each other to forward their messages for an entire week.
Talon is so full of himself, but Keeley quickly discovers he’s funny, too—at least his texts are. And he listens to Keeley—which is more than anyone else does. Texting Talon, she can be more than just the quiet twin sister of a popular boy. Texting Talon, she can be the outgoing person she’s always wanted to be. Soon the two are falling for each other, hard.
But when true identities are revealed and secrets are exposed, will Keeley’s feelings stay the same? 

MY OPINION: ***

So I have NOT read a single book this entire month. Reviewing is such a strange feeling.

Before you start accusing me of slacking, let me explain. I’m in high school, taking honors and AP classes, and I’ve been staying up to incredibly late hours trying to study and memorize facts and dates and peoples names.

So I finally read a book, and am still reading others.

Yay for me, I guess. I’m thinking about extremely lowering my reading challenge but I still have breaks and such so hopefully I get to read more.

Back to the book.

I found this book off of Wattpad, which is one of my favorite platforms out there. Yes, it’s definitely a guilty pleasure but hey, I need something to keep me entertained.

DISCLAIMER: my library didn’t have the print copy so this review is off of the WATTPAD version which I know is very different.

The main basis of the book is a generic Wattpad book, which is nice because I’m used to the format. We have a main character who’s really nice and probably a bit nerdy or something and SOMETHING happens to cause her to meet the incredibly gorgeous, dangerous, hot hot bad guy. Or a quarterback/running back.

Keeley is a normal girl. I wouldn’t describe her as nerdy, or overly good-girl like. Which is fine, but she didn’t have the most developed personality. She loses her phone and accidentally grabs somebody else’s who looks EXACTLY like hers. Do these kids even have cases or wallpapers or something?

She soon starts to text and call the owner of the phone she has by calling her phone. He introduces himself as Talon (cool name) and they soon get to know each other.

After a while, they finally meet up to switch back their phones. As soon as he sees her and realizes who she is, he leaves and she’s left confused.

We find out that Keeley’s twin brother is Zach Brewer, the quarterback at her school, and that Talon is actually JT, the rival quarterback at their enemy school. So now we have the quarterbacks hating each other and Keeley’s still confused about Talon.

They start this on and off relationship as they learn new things about each other. Keeley is afraid to trust and she often walks away from Talon. He’s made an AWFUL mistake that she doesn’t think she can forgive him for.

This being a Wattpad story, there were a LOT of twists and turns. I really wish it had been written in first person, because that’s what I’m used to, especially on WP. That’s not a problem or anything, it’s just weird reading not in the first person.

I enjoyed the book, though I think she could have turned their chemistry up a notch. We spent the whole time thinking they were broken up and then not and it was hard to know if they actually liked each other or not.

I would recommend this book to those who are looking for a short, cutesy novel based on a teenage romance.

Main Character: Keeley
Sidekick(s): Talon, Zack, Nikki
Villain(s): Lying, misunderstandings, etc

Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life

Comments