The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Genre: Historical Fiction

Image result for les miserables bookBlurb (on back of book)Introducing one of the most famous characters in literature, Jean Valjean—the noble peasant imprisoned for stealing a loaf of bread—Les Misérables ranks among the greatest novels of all time. In it, Victor Hugo takes readers deep into the Parisian underworld, immerses them in a battle between good and evil, and carries them to the barricades during the uprising of 1832 with a breathtaking realism that is unsurpassed in modern prose. Within his dramatic story are themes that capture the intellect and the emotions: crime and punishment, the relentless persecution of Valjean by Inspector Javert, the desperation of the prostitute Fantine, theamorality of the rogue Thénardier, and the universal desire to escape the prisons of our own minds. Les Misérables gave Victor Hugo a canvas upon which he portrayed his criticism of the French political and judicial systems, but the portrait that resulted is larger than life, epic in scope—an extravagant spectacle that dazzles the senses even as it touches the heart. 

MY OPINION: ****

SO

I did not finish this book

So hold your applause and shock that I actually finished a 1400 page book because I'm a fake. And I didn't finish the book.

THOUGHTS


1. So I want to finish this book in the future but at this very moment, I can't. I have completely lost interest and I simply don't have the TIME. I'm in high school, and I'm taking AP and honors classes, and it's nearly impossible to finish ANYTHING these days, let alone such a LOOOONG book.

Hopefully, perhaps in college, or perhaps later in my life, I will finish this book.

2. I lost interest.

If you don't know, I am the HUGEST Les Miz fan. Of the MUSICAL/PLAY. Not the book, unfortunately.

Ever since I was born, I grew up with Les Miz in my ears. When I learned to play the piano, I would play "On My Own" and "I Dreamed a Dream" constantly. I would be singing these songs 24/7, including at Open Mic shows at 10 years old. I watched the movies before I was even allowed to. I grew up watching the 10th anniversary concert and even went as far as to buy DVDs of every production of the show.

I have also seen the whole show in live performance, and I must say that it was one of the best experiences of my life.

However, the book is a completely different story.

I often found myself complaining about its length and the twists and turns it took. The descriptions were monstrously long, and I was bored at sections. I wish I could have finished the book. I know that everyone says it's a masterpiece, and I'm not denying that, but I don't have the time or self-determination to finish the entire thing.

3. The writing was very informative. It was full of long descriptions and a lot of historical narrative, which I was not the hugest fan of, unfortunately. Dialogue was sparse and instead we got over 50 pages of the Battle of Waterloo.

I would recommend this book to a reader who has a lot of time on their hands, and is willing to read a lengthy and strongly historical novel. At the very least, watch the movie or go see the show because it truly is a story that shouldn't be ignored. I hope to one day pick up this book again and finish it through, but at this period in my life, I can't do it.

Main Character: Jean Valjean, Cosette
Sidekick(s): Marius, Eponine, Javert (in a way), Enjolras, Fantine, etc
Villain(s): Thenardiers, war, Javert (in a way), miserable people, cold, famine, death, etc
Historical Fiction Elements: This book was based on a notable historical event in French history.

Comments