The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

After We Fell - Anna Todd

After We Fell by Anna Todd
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for after we fellBlurb (on back of book): Book 3 of the After series—newly revised and expanded, Anna Todd's After fanfiction racked up 1 billion reads online and captivated readers across the globe. Experience the internet's most talked-about book for yourself from the writer Cosmopolitan called “the biggest literary phenomenon of her generation.”
Tessa and Hardin’s love was complicated before. Now it’s more confusing than ever. AFTER WE FELL...Life will never be the same. #HESSA
Just as Tessa makes the biggest decision of her life, everything changes. Revelations about first her family, and then Hardin’s, throw everything they knew before in doubt and makes their hard-won future together more difficult to claim.
Tessa’s life begins to come unglued. Nothing is what she thought it was. Not her friends. Not her family. The one person she should be able to rely on, Hardin, is furious when he discovers the massive secret she’s been keeping. And rather than being understanding, he turns to sabotage.
Tessa knows Hardin loves her and will do anything to protect her, but there’s a difference between loving someone and being able to have them in your life. This cycle of jealousy, unpredictable anger, and forgiveness is exhausting. She’s never felt so intensely for anyone, so exhilarated by someone’s kiss—but is the irrepressible heat between her and Hardin worth all the drama? Love used to be enough to hold them together. But if Tessa follows her heart now, will it be...the end?

MY OPINION: ****

I love this series so much and I'm almost done :(

I did enjoy this third book. I felt like it was a nice segue into the upcoming concluding book of the series, but the entire time I was sad that it was ending. I love these books so much, and I know that it's very controversial but I'm on of the people who truly loves this series.

I just want to point out that I do know that these books are very problematic, especially with certain parts of the plot line and I by no means want to glorify the abusive relationship that this book almost seems to promote. I do realize that Hardin and Tessa have a convoluted relationship that is definitely not healthy and should not be something that girls especially should be wishing for.

However, I do love these books and it's because of the passion and intensity behind them. They're so "bad" that they're good and I honestly love everything about them.

This book seemed to be a large step up from the first two books. I do think that the writing has improved, though it is still fairly uniform with the beginning novels. The characters have somewhat matured (sure) and there is a lot less make-up-break-up scenarios going on in this book.

Tessa has learned to become stronger and I really liked that about her. Before, she would have listened to Hardin's every word but I feel like in this book she really fought back and brought her own opinions to light in this book. She's also MUCH less of a good girl than she was in the beginning and while I have nothing against good girls, especially since I'm technically one myself, I did like seeing how she changed from beginning to the present.

Hardin is slowly learning to control his emotions and anger and making better choices, and although he is not perfect at all, I did like the effort he showed. Yes, he's emotionally abusive but does he really mean to be or is his perspective on life and relationships skewed by his messed-up childhood? I don't truly know and I don't want to condone emotional abuse at all but I feel like you can't completely blame him for his actions. He has never been in a relationship like the one that he shares with Tessa and at the very least, he's trying to make an effort to change his ways.

Zed was one of my favorite characters in the beginning and then I lost respect for him by the second book for some unknown reason. Maybe because he was interrupting with Hessa. However, I do understand where he's coming from: when Hardin messes up, he's always there for Tessa and he truly has genuine feelings for her, something that I doubted in the beginning. I didn't love him or anything in this book but I did appreciate his determination and willingness to protect the girl who was, again, being severely emotionally abused.

Tessa's mother is SO annoying. I get that she cares about her daughter or whatever but the way she treats Tessa is not the way to treat any child, especially your own. And Tessa's father... I don't even know what to say about that situation. I didn't like him and I didn't like his ways but at least he was trying to make an effort. Although he is a very problematic character, he seems to help Hardin in a way, which is definitely appreciated.

Steph is a true monster and I don't know what to say about her. I used to actually like her but I suppose I'm just very bad at judging characters because she's the cruelest person I have EVER read about in any contemporary novel and I've read a LOT. **trigger warning; almost-rape; sexual harassment** I was beyond shocked to see everything that unfolded with her character and her actions and I can never see her the same way. If I ever decide to reread the books in the future, which I most definitely will be doing, I will start with an instant dislike unlike this time around.

I really loved getting Hardin's perspective because he's such a complicated character and it was nice to see inside of his head every once in a while.

I loved the waiter. So very much.

THE ENDING SHOOK ME TO MY CORE AND I CANNOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED

Overall, I enjoyed this book and am sad/excited to read the last one. I would recommend this book to readers looking for a long contemporary romance novel full of passion and intensity and a lot of burning love (beware of explicit scenes, younger readers)

Main Character: Tessa, Hardin
Sidekick(s): Zed?, Ken, Kimberly, etc
Villain(s): Steph, abuse, alcohol, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life (though really it wasn't) :P

Comments