The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

What If It's Us - Adam Silvera & Becky Albertalli

What If It's Us by Adam Silvera and Becky Albertalli
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for what if it's usBlurb (on back of book): Arthur is only in New York for the summer, but if Broadway has taught him anything, it’s that the universe can deliver a showstopping romance when you least expect it.
Ben thinks the universe needs to mind its business. If the universe had his back, he wouldn’t be on his way to the post office carrying a box of his ex-boyfriend’s things.
But when Arthur and Ben meet-cute at the post office, what exactly does the universe have in store for them?
Maybe nothing. After all, they get separated.
Maybe everything. After all, they get reunited.
But what if they can’t quite nail a first date . . . or a second first date . . . or a third?
What if Arthur tries too hard to make it work . . . and Ben doesn’t try hard enough?
What if life really isn’t like a Broadway play?
But what if it is?

MY OPINION: ******

So I was just going through my 2018 Reading Challenge (which I'm still behind on so probably going to reread some stuff) and I realized that I haven't rated a book five-stars since OCTOBER (that wasn't a reread). That being said, I was so excited to rate this book SIX-STARS, something I haven't done since back in MAY of this year, which is absolutely crazy. 

I was already hyped up for this book when I heard that one of my favorite authors of all time, Adam Silvera, was co-writing it with another very esteemed author in the YA contemporary slash genre, Becky Albertalli. Those two together sound like... GOD. Literally. And it definitely lived up to my expectations, which were set fairly high.

Arthur was this no-filter, smart, funny, awkward dude who's never had a boyfriend or his first kiss and has never been on a date. I honestly loved him but out of him and Ben, I can't say who I liked better. He was so cute and flirty and awkward and his reactions to little things throughout the book were so relatable and I found myself just smiling at the stupid things that he said.

Ben was sensitive and serious and scared about where his future is going, all of which is also very relatable for me. I loved the way that he thought about things and I also loved how he wasn't afraid to point out his flaws rather than try to fake it till ya make it.

Their romance was so beautiful and I loved their entire relationship. My one big problem was the fact that they broke up and then immediately got back together. I mean, Arthur had his reasons for breaking up so he should have stuck to his gut though he should have given Ben a chance. I loved them together. The whole Hamilton scene made me want to cry.

The whole book was so beautiful. It's definitely one of my favorite books.

QUOTES:

because they're just so beautiful

"Hey. So I know last night was weird, and I hope it's okay that I'm texting you. Feel free to delete this if you want, but I hope you don't. I'm really sorry, Ben. It's just, I think I like you a lot, and I'm kinda new to the whole thing of actually dating guys I like a lot. Or dating guys at all, really. And I honestly get it if you'd rather end things (I wouldn't want to date me either, lol). But if you want to give this another shot, I'm totally 100% super madly up for that. Maybe we could have another do-over?"

Literally, if I got a message like that, I would cry.

“How lucky we are to be alive right now, right?” “Oh my god, you’re speaking Hamilton—I’m just so into you. I’m helpless.”

It's so pretty, I can't.

ALSO Chapter 20 made me want to cry. I FELT SO BAD FOR ARTHUR I LOVE HIM SO MUCH.

I think the best thing about this book was that the characters felt SO REAL. Like, I could literally see them as I was reading. This is true especially of Adam Silvera's other books and I was glad that that element wasn't lost in this collaboration. Literally, their romance was so full of struggles and fear and them being unsure if they liked each other and if they should stay together and it felt so real.

I also loved how other characters were incorporated into the book so that it wasn't just about ARTHUR and BEN the entire time. I didn't especially like anybody's friends but they were still nice to read about and acknowledge. Actually, that's a lie. Dylan was also god. Literally, if I had a friend like him, I would be happy for the rest of my life.

I love Ben's Puerto Rican identification. It's been a while since I've read a book with a diverse character who's proud of who he is without any qualms. I loved how he was so defensive about himself against the people who automatically assumed things about him.

I thought Ethan was going to come out as gay though lol. Don't know where that thought came from.

I WISH THE ENDING WAS A BIT LONGER. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

This whole book was just so good and there's nothing left to say except to GO READ IT.

Oh and I'm definitely giving myself a do-over. :)

Main Character: Arthur, Ben
Sidekick(s): Dylan, Ethan, Jessie, Harriett, Samantha, Hudson, etc
Villain(s): Love, time, misunderstandings, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this book was so real to life.

Comments