The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Origin - Jennifer L Armentrout

Origin by Jennifer L Armentrout
Genre: YA Fantasy/SciFi

Image result for origin bookBlurb (on back of book): Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.
After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.
All Katy can do is survive.
Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?
Together, they can face anything. 
But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on? 
And will they even be together?

MY OPINION: ***

AGH THERE IS ONLY ONE MORE BOOK IN THIS SERIES

This felt so conclusive until the last chapter. It could have been the last book and I'm so glad that it wasn't. I definitely loved everything about it but for some reason, something about it felt less... amazing, hence the lower rating (compared to the previous books in this series). I feel as if the other books were just so perfect that this book didn't have the same feeling to it. It didn't live up to its potential but I still loved it.

My main problem with it was that everything happened so fast. It felt at times like it was all over the place. Everybody started to drop dead. Important characters died left and right including Blake, Ash, and Andrew which I found very surprising. Things happened so suddenly and it didn't really go into any more explanation other than... Yup they're dead. We're just supposed to acknowledge that this very important character is dead in the span of a paragraph. I get that it might because JLA was trying to convey how the characters felt but it still felt weird. It just felt so sudden. I didn't get any feeling of what everybody's reactions were to the various deaths around them. I feel like the entire aftershock part was muted and will probably be more present in the last book.

Daemon is just as amazing as forever and this time WE ACTUALLY GOT HIS PERSPECTIVE. I repeat: WE GOT TO SEE INSIDE A "HOT" ALIEN'S BRAIN. I loved it but I  felt at first that it ruined the pattern of these books and changed where everything was going. However, I honestly loved how it was done and getting into Daemon's mind was different and very interesting. I loved reading how he thought and his feelings and emotions were so visceral and gutwrenching.

There was so much added information in this book about the world that I think weren't entirely planned during the writing of the first book, especially about the origins and such. At some points, it felt a little hard to understand and I would have to take breaks during the book just to absorb everything. Everything was all over the place. For me, this book felt like:

BOOK ONE: Introductions
BOOK TWO: Oh now we introduce this entirely new thing called ONYX
BOOK THREE: Oh now we introduce this entirely new thing called OPALS
BOOK FOUR: Oh now we introduce this entirely new thing called ORIGINS

Yes, those are the titles but I felt as if she thought about it and decided to add it in, rather than seguing it all together into a smooth stream throughout the series.

Another thing: I found it hard to stay hooked. The other books had me constantly wanting to read more despite it being one AM but in this one, it felt more just like any other book and I wasn't as pulled into it for some reason. BUT I DID NOT HATE IT

*I'm sorry for such a badly written review. I'm writing this in school and people are starting to stare...*

I think a lot happened in this book and I'm very excited for the next one and everything that will finally conclude this series. JLA is honestly a really good author and I don't understand how anyone can write so many amazing books that don't fail to impress.

I honestly loved Archer.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a fantasy romance.

Main Character: Katy, Daemon
Sidekick(s): Dee, Dawson, Luc, Archer, etc
Villain(s): Daedalus, Arum, etc
Fantasy/Sci Fi Elements: This book is based off of fanatic elements.

Comments