The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Onyx - Jennifer L Armentrout

Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Blurb (on back of book): Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Image result for onyx bookThanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

MY OPINION: *****

JLA is slowly rising higher and higher on my "Favorite Authors" list every time I read another book by her.

It's so amazing how somebody can write like this. I couldn't put this book down. You know something is good when it physically pains you to read how beautiful it is and when it also physically pains you to not read it because of how beautiful it is.

This book was honestly better than the first book. It's actually been a surprisingly long time since I've rated a book five-stars, which shows you something. I NEED THE REST OF THIS SERIES NOW

PROS:
-Can we talk about the god-alien that is Daemon Black? Although I couldn't get Damon Salvatore out of my head for the beginning of the book, I soon grew to love this man. Yes, maybe he was a little overprotective of Katy but honestly, he had a reason to, especially since he proves right about everything in the end. Are possessive guys admirable? No. However, Daemon manages to protect Katy in a way that conveys that he only wants to keep her safe.
-Katy and Daemon's relationship. It's powerful, it's strong, and yes, maybe there were a LOT of ups and downs but in the end, it worked out beautifully.
-The writing. This book was written so nicely, with sarcastic-realistic-heartwrenching dialogue and easy-to-visualize descriptions of the fight scenes (which is VERY surprising and a thumbs up from me because I find it hard to mentally see "fight" scenes in books)
-The way the characters are written. Yes, the book may be dripping with sexual tension but it's realistic and makes you love Daemon more. I found Dee sweet as always, though I hated how she was treated like a "princess" who had to be hidden away from the rest of the world to keep her "safe" from everything around her. She's an alien, for crying out loud.

CONS:
-Katy's gullible personality. This isn't a bad thing about the book but just as a character judgment. I hated how she was so willing to put her faith into all of the wrong characters. It was BLARINGLY OBVIOUS who was not on her side but did she listen to Daemon or anybody else who warned her? Nope. She just went with her gut. Turns out she wasn't always right. There were a lot of facepalm moments in there.
-Blake. Again, this isn't a bad thing about the book. However, Blake really got on my nerves. Is it just because I'm a hardcore #TEAMDAEMON fan? Maybe. But Blake was someone I was instantly leery of and didn't like. I was praying the gods above for him to not form a love triangle because I honestly couldn't deal with that. Thankfully, he didn't do too much to disrupt the romance.
-Will. Another character I hated. Don't know why but turns out, it wasn't just me. I found him overly clingy and he made himself at home way too soon.

Did I absolutely love this book? YES. Will I read it again? PROBABLY. Am I reading the next books AND the novellas? YES.

Yay.

I would recommend this book to readers looking for a romance-sci-fi combo!

Main Character: Katy
Sidekick(s): Daemon, Dee, Adam, etc
Villain(s): DOD, Arum, etc
Sci-Fi/Fantasy Elements: This was based on science-fiction/fantasy elements.

PS: KATY BOOK REVIEWS ON A BLOG TOO
Just thought I should mention that

Comments