The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul - Jack Canfield

Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul by Jack Canfield
Genre: Teen Nonfiction

See the source imageBlurb (on back of book): This first batch of Chicken Soup for Teens consists of 101 stories every teenager can relate to and learn from -- without feeling criticized or judged. This edition contains important lessons on the nature of friendship and love, the importance of belief in the future, and the value of respect for oneself and others, and much more.

MY OPINION: *****

This is going to be a short review: it's late and I have another one to do after this so this is going to be short. Besides, I'm pretty sure you all like the short reviews better.

**COMMENT DOWN BELOW WHICH YOU LIKE BETTER: LONG REVIEWS OR SHORT REVIEWS BECAUSE I AM THINKING ABOUT MAYBE NOT MAKING THEM SO LENGTH BECAUSE INSTEAD OF IT BEING FUN, IT HAS BECOME A TASK FOR ME AT SOME POINTS**

I really liked the whole concept of this book. I thought that the title was clever and it really was helpful to me. I just became what we call "a real teenager" (NOT 13) and I thought that maybe this book would help me to navigate this new world of adolescence.

It was definitely helpful to me. It was a compilation of stories and poems and essays by people who shared stories from their teenage life. It was split up into sections, such as Family, Love and Relationships, and so on; you know, all of the important things in a teenage life.

I thought that the stories were definitely well-thought out and I actually enjoyed reading them for entertainment. I thought that they were interesting and some were surprising and some were funny and some were tear-jerking. It's crazy how these people actually did some of these things.

I liked the whole idea of this. After a time, it did start to seem like they were all variations of the same story but I still enjoyed reading through the whole thing. I actually just went from cover to cover instead of skipping around like the author recommended and I found that I liked the Love ones and the ones where they were "going for it" the best.

I would recommend this book to teenagers who are looking for something to relate to, to strengthen, or just to read.

Main Character: The people featured in the stories
Sidekick(s): Their friends... maybe the reader?
Villain(s): VARIES
Nonfiction Elements: All of this were real events and such.

Comments