The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Walking Disaster - Jamie McGuire

Walking Disaster by Jamie McGuire
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Image result for walking disaster
Blurb (on back of book): Can you love someone too much?
Travis Maddox learned two things from his mother before she died: Love hard. Fight harder.
In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.
Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it’s time to see the story through Travis’s eyes.

MY OPINION: ***

So let me tell you this first: I'm writing this in class (yes I am allowed to) so it'll be a short review. I honestly don't have too much to say about this book. Just a couple of things that I should state as to my lower rating than the first book.

I gave this book a lower rating than Beautiful Disaster for a couple of reasons. First, I genuinely did not enjoy reading this book from Travis's point of view. I thought I would enjoy it better than Abby, but no, I didn't. In fact, it was kind of repetitive and Travis's point of view was so much more boring. He still did not explain his random mood swings and anger rages. It just goes like "before I knew it I was punching him" and I'm like 'what?' and I kind of gave up.

Also, the ENDING of this book was a REAL ENDING and I honestly disliked it. They get married and have kids and it was too abrupt for me. I wanted to know more and instead, it was cut short and we get this long, rambling, not to mention boring ending.

Honestly, Travis's character was not as unique and interesting as I thought it would be and that kind of left me with a disappointed feeling. I still did enjoy reading this book but it took me a LOT longer and it was a lot more tiring. I would recommend Beautiful Disaster a lot more than this book, only because of the things I mentioned above. I also wanted to have more backstory on Travis's character that I didn't receive in this book. Yes, there was a small flashback in the very beginning of the book, but like I said, it was small and it wasn't as detailed as I had hoped.

If you didn't read Beautiful Disaster. I honestly, don't think it matters. It's the exact same story told from a different character's point of view. I actually think it would be better just to read the first book or just to read the second book because it's very repetitive and we skip over some of the best scenes from the first book in this one.

I would recommend this book to fans of the first one, but honestly, it wasn't my favorite.

TRENT WAS AMAZING AND I CANNOT WAIT TO READ HIS STORY IN BEAUTIFUL OBLIVION

Main Character: Travis
Sidekick(s): Abby, Shepley, America, Trenton, etc
Villain(s): Fighting, love, misunderstanding, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life

Comments