The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

You and Me and Him - Kris Dinnison

You and Me and Him by Kris Dinnison
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Image result for you and me and him
Blurb (on back of book): “Do not ignore a call from me when you know I am feeling neurotic about a boy. That is Best Friend 101.” —Nash
Maggie and Nash are outsiders. She’s overweight. He’s out of the closet. The best of friends, they have seen each other through thick and thin, but when Tom moves to town at the start of the school year, they have something unexpected in common: feelings for the same guy. This warm, witty novel—with a clear, true voice and a clever soundtrack of musical references—sings a song of love and forgiveness.

MY OPINION: *****

I really loved this book. I picked it up while browsing in the library one day and I found it a real gem.

This book was so sweet and gorgeous. It's about a girl and a boy who are best friends. They are both the outsiders. The girl, Maggie, is overweight, and the boy, Nash, is gay. Maggie and Nash both have had their share of crushes and unrequited love.

Then a new boy comes to their high school and they're left with a problem. Both Nash and Maggie start to have feelings for this mysterious boy who has moved from school to school many times. Nash immediately befriends this boy, Tom, and Maggie and Nash become Tom's friends.

Tom is SO nice and at some points, when he wasn't nice, it was just shocking. Tom also kind of annoyed me because he seemed shallow and he didn't really care about Maggie and Nash's feelings. Tom also kind of led Nash on, which I thought was really rude.

Maggie was sweet and is one of the few protagonist's that I actually loved. She was honest and kind and she loved to bake. She is aware of her weight but she's learned to be happy and to be herself, despite the comments from her mom that I thought were really cruel to say to your own daughter. I love Maggie's oblique taste in music and I love the way she is determined to make things right all of the time.

Nash. I need to say one thing: I HATED NASH. Ever since I FIRST met him, I disliked him immediately. No offense, but I thought he was pushy, needy, whiny, rude, and WAY too overdramatic. He immediately "calls dibs" on Tom and then makes it seem like Maggie CANNOT talk to Tom. He also blows people off and is just mean sometimes. He also said MANY things that annoyed me.

And Kayla. Her role in the story didn't completely make sense to me but I'm glad that she was in the book because it helped Maggie to learn about the idea of trust.

However, I did love this book. It was so honest and real to life and I love how Maggie and Nash finally found themselves and each other. I did not like the ending. TOM WAS SUCH A JERK. YOU DO NOT JUST KISS SOMEONE AND TELL THEM THAT YOU JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS. LIKE WHAT?

I would recommend this book to realistic fiction lovers.

Main Character: Maggie
Sidekick(s): Nash, Quinn, Tom (at some points), etc
Villain(s): Nash (at some points), Tom, Kayla, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments