The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Anna and the French Kiss - Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for anna and the french kissBlurb (on back of book)Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étie  nne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. 
But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?

MY OPINION: *****

Gorgeous. I loved this book. It was beautifully written and the characters seemed alive and magical and the setting was to die for.

For those of you who don't know, I take French. Sure, it's beginning French but so is the class that Anna takes in this book, meaning that I could understand a TON of what they were saying :D

Anyways, St. Clair was the best male character ever. He was so smart and funny and gorgeous and emotional and sweet and sentimental and amazing. 

Anna was not my favorite protagonist because she was too quick to jump to conclusions and she was kind of a bad friend. Also, to be honest, she was kind of an idiot at some points, especially about obvious things such as St. Clair's feelings. OMG just ask him if you're confused! She also complained WAYY too much for my taste. I MEAN, YOU ARE IN PARIS. SHUT UP AND STOP COMPLAINING.

MEREDITH. I hated her so much, since the beginning. She was annoying, clingy, whiny, and kind of stupid, especially because she kept obsessing over someone that it was pretty obvious she was never going to get. THANK YOU, ST CLAIR FOR NOT CHOOSING MER.

Josh and his girlfriend (whose name I cannot for the life of me remember right now) were kind of the gross couple and then the fighting couple until finally, they were no couple. What was up with Josh? Why did he keep skipping class? 

I loved reading about Paris and I really hope that I can go there. It sounded really beautiful and I hope that at some point in my life, I will be able to go there.

Perkins's writing was gorgeous and interesting and I hope that I can read more of her books. I'm actually reading Book 2 in this series and loving it!

I would recommend this book to people who like romance and a French theme.

Main Character: Anna
Sidekick(s): St. Clair, Mer, Josh, Rashmi, etc
Villain(s): Monsieur St. Clair?, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: All of this could happen in real life.

Comments