The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Where She Went - Gayle Forman

Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Genre: YA Fiction

Image result for where she went
Blurb (on back of book)It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.
Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other.
Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.

MY OPINION: ***

TBH, this took me a really long time to read.

I got stuck at some points, bored at others, distracted by different books, but as soon as I got around to sticking to this sequel, I managed to finish it and learned to even actually like it.

On GR, I originally had this book at a four stars but now thinking about it, I have to change it to a three stars. This book just really wasn't for me. The first book was gorgeous and really hooking, but this sequel was a meh at best and at some points, I thought about abandoning it altogether.

However, I did want to know how Adam and Mia's story ended. I mean, their story is unique and beautiful and it was enough for me to want to read more of the series so I know how it all ended.

Oh, for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about when I say "sequel" I mean this is the second and last, I believe, book of If I Stay. Here is my review.

Okay, so this book was told from Adam's point of view instead of Mia's which to me, was an unwelcome change. I liked reading from Mia's point of view and I liked knowing what she was thinking.

Also, this book is set three years after the first book. Honestly, I didn't like how much of a time gap there was. I didn't really get to know what happened during those three years or so that we missed of Adam and Mia's lives.

And Kim no longer exists. She was mentioned a couple of times but basically, she is living her own person now and doesn't really show up anymore in Mia's life? What?

Honestly, this book is a whirlwind of emotion that I didn't really enjoy. It didn't really relate to me and it didn't really click with my interests. I find that sad as I had such high hopes for this book...

However, there were some parts of the book that I did like. I liked how the writing style was still the same and I liked how Adam was still loyal to his band and I liked how Mia and Adam got back together in the end.

But overall, this wasn't my favorite. I really enjoyed If I Stay a lot better, though honestly, I must admit I feel kind of... biased because I'm comparing this book to If I Stay and I'm not really treating it like it's own book. However, it really isn't since it is a sequel so...

I would recommend this book to people who like a lot of emotion and thoughts and real, true, honest lives.

Main Character: Adam
Sidekick(s): Mia, etc
Villain(s): Life, etc
Fiction Elements: This book was all highly fictional though it doesn't mean that some of the events can't have happened in real life.

Comments