The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Bone Gap - Laura Ruby

Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
Genre: YA Fiction

Image result for bone gapBlurb (on back of book): Everyone knows Bone Gap is full of gaps—gaps to trip you up, gaps to slide through so you can disappear forever. So when young, beautiful Roza went missing, the people of Bone Gap weren’t surprised. After all, it wasn’t the first time that someone had slipped away and left Finn and Sean O’Sullivan on their own. Just a few years before, their mother had high-tailed it to Oregon for a brand new guy, a brand new life. That’s just how things go, the people said. Who are you going to blame?
Finn knows that’s not what happened with Roza. He knows she was kidnapped, ripped from the cornfields by a dangerous man whose face he cannot remember. But the searches turned up nothing, and no one believes him anymore. Not even Sean, who has more reason to find Roza than anyone, and every reason to blame Finn for letting her go.

As we follow the stories of Finn, Roza, and the people of Bone Gap—their melancholy pasts, their terrifying presents, their uncertain futures—acclaimed author Laura Ruby weaves a heartbreaking tale of love and loss, magic and mystery, regret and forgiveness—a story about how the face the world sees is never the sum of who we are.

MY OPINION: ****

I started this yesterday and couldn't finish it...

Anyways, WOW. This book.

At first, I was like ugh. Meh. Boring.

But as I read more, I was like WOW. Amazing. Awesome. Captivating.

This book can only be described with one word: strange. This book was so weird, so unique that it was enough to keep me going. About 25% of it didn't make any sense at all!

So this review has to be uber short because I'm supposed to be writing an essay for school...

Anyways, I know this is late but I really enjoyed reading this book a couple of days ago. Now, a lot of it is out of my head because I've been reading so many other books, but I still remember that I loved it.

Is face-blindness a real thing? Because that's the first time I've heard of it and am interested to know more. Comment.

The ending. I didn't really understand half of it but it was so different from any other ending that I loved it. Magic.

This book is described as "magical realism" but I put Fiction as the genre because it just isn't enough to be realistic fiction OR fantasy.

I liked Finn. He's amazing. I liked how he was so smart and determined despite his disability and I liked how he was so brave. He was definitely my favorite character.

I didn't understand Charlie Valentine's character. And we never learned the name of the guy, did we? The one who kidnapped Roza?

This book was all fragmented and full of flashbacks and memories and the present. I loved it and I would recommend it to people who like realistic fiction but with a taste of a little something that we humans call magic.

Main Character: Finn
Sidekick(s): Sean, Petey, Roza, etc
Villain(s): The kidnapper, etc
Fiction Elements: This book was all HIGHLY fictional :D

Comments