The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things - Ann Aguirre

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things by Ann Aguirre
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction

Image result for the queen of bright and shiny thingsBlurb (on back of book)Sage Czinski is trying really hard to be perfect. If she manages it, people won’t peer beyond the surface, or ask hard questions about her past. She’s learned to substitute causes for relationships, and it’s working just fine… until Shane Cavendish strolls into her math class. He’s a little antisocial, a lot beautiful, and everything she never knew she always wanted.
Shane Cavendish just wants to be left alone to play guitar and work on his music. He’s got heartbreak and loneliness in his rearview mirror, and this new school represents his last chance. He doesn’t expect to be happy; he only wants to graduate and move on. He never counted on a girl like Sage.But love doesn’t mend all broken things, and sometimes life has to fall apart before it can be put back together again…

MY OPINION: *****

Wow. Just wow.

This book was so beautiful, so wonderful, so amazing.

I love these one-day reads!

Well, technically, I finished after midnight, but it still counts.

Anyways, this book was definitely one of the best books I've read this summer, if not this year. It's definitely one of my favorite books now...

This book is about a girl named Sage (what a beautiful name) who has had a hard past. She now lives with her Aunt Gabby and goes to high school dubbed as "Princess Post-It" because she has a thing where she writes something really nice or inspiring on Post-Its and puts it on people's lockers if she thinks they're feeling "down" or "in the dumps." Sage has been trying to hide her past for forever but everything changes when anti-social Shane walks into her math class one glorious day.

From the start, Shane gets bullied by the jocks, who are led by Dylan Smith, the bully of the school (we'll get to that later). When Sage tries to help, he ignores her.

Then Shane and Sage actually meet when he is found in the library reading, where a Green World meeting, a club Sage is a part of, is being hosted. She insists that he stay and he does. Thus, we have a budding romance.

I really enjoyed reading about Sage's character. She was really determined to keep the old her out of the way and stay with the new her, despite how angry she got. She was brave and independent and I loved how she refused to ride in cars and ended up riding 100 miles on a bike to try to save Shane. She's a really strong female protagonist if you're looking for a book like that.

Shane was definitely my favorite character. He was smart, brave, determined, and even though he let his anger get the best of him, he was still loyal and kind. I loved how he played guitar and I wish he was real so I could hear some of his music.

This was one of the books that featured music that I really enjoyed reading. Most books that have guys who play music make me annoyed for some reason, but this one was so pretty and I really loved reading the lyrics and I wish they were real so bad.

Oh, and I almost forgot. Step in: Ryan.

Ryan has been Sage's best friend for three years. He's kind, sweet, loving, etc. But for those two to three years, everyone had been under the impression that they were dating because he always put his arm around her, held hands with her, or whatever. It turns out that Sage never knew and she thought it was a friendly gesture.

Then we find out that Ryan has been having an "affair" of sorts with an older woman named Cassie. Cassie is under the impression that Ryan is 18 or 19 when in reality, he's 16 or 17. Ryan has just been pretending to be dating Sage in order to keep his social status and not be considered gay or something. 

Of course, Sage is angry and depressed and their friendship takes a break. I mean, if it were my friend, I honestly don't think I would have ever forgiven them. At least not for three or four months. 

Thus ended my shipping of Ryan x Sage and thus started my shipping of Shane x Sage.

Lila. I don't know what I really thought about her. At first, she seemed gothic and kind of depressing but soon she lightens up after deciding to become friends with Sage. I don't really know... I didn't hate her but I didn't really LOVE her.

THE ENDING. We uncover the secrets of Sage's past and it's insane. But I'm not going to go into that so you need to read the book if you wanna know.

When Shane gets taken away after fighting with Dylan, I was really depressed. I knew he was gonna come back but I couldn't stand not reading about him. I LOVED THE GUY, OKAY. Then when he came back, I loved this one quote.

"This was my life before he left, but I had to lose him to understand what a miracle this is. Now I can appreciate just how special small things can be." Page 323-324 

So yeah. I want to talk more and more and forever and ever, but imma cut it short. Please read this book. It was beautiful and amazing and I would recommend it to people who are in for a good romance. Beware if you're younger though. There are some... suggestive elements and themes. :D

Main Character: Sage
Sidekick(s): Shane, Ryan, Lila, etc
Villain(s): Shadow Sage, the past, etc
Realistic Fiction Elements: This book was all very real to life.

Comments