The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - UPDATED REVIEW

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde  Genre : Classics Blurb (on back of book) : Oscar Wilde’s only novel is the dreamlike story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. In this celebrated work Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde's most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind. UPDATED REVIEW MY OPINION : ****** I would like to start out this review by stating that this is undoubtedly m

Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Genre: YA Fantasy

Image result for shatter me book cover
Blurb (on back of book)I have a curse
I have a gift
I am a monster
I'm more than human
My touch is lethal
My touch is power
I am their weapon
I will fight back
Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

MY OPINION: *****

Wowowowowowow.

Okay, let's talk about this book.

ALL of my friends IRL and on Goodreads told me to read this book. My really close friend told me that this was the "only book she enjoyed reading" in her life (she's not really a big reader).

So, of course, I had to read it.

At first, I did not understand all of the hype. The beginning was meh at best and blech at worst. And then the middle started to get even better and by the end, I was in love.

WOWOWOWOWOW

Okay, so let's do a little list of my pros and cons of the book.

PROS

*LOTS of beautiful romance
*Adam. Let's just stop and take a moment to worship the awesomeness of Adam Kent.
*The amount of times Warner said "Kent." I LOVE THE LAST NAME 'KENT', okay?
*The fact that there is a strong female character that is amazingly brave and determined
*The strikethroughs. At first, I hated that but as I read more, it was just a part of the book that I can now add to my list of Pros. It was kind of annoying at first but then I started to enjoy reading them.
*James. He was adorably innocent and a perfect angel.
*Warner is 19. 19!!!
*The fact that there are TWO MORE BOOKS that I can read. Is there going to be a fourth???
*All the mini novellas and .5 books!!

CONS

*The lack of commas. It got me kind of angry but maybe I'm just too much of a grammar queen. I know that that was how the writing was supposed to be but it kind of annoyed me.
*Warner is 19. 19!!! (YES THIS IS A PRO AND A CON)
*Kenji. He was the most annoying character ever.
*HOW FAST I READ THIS BOOK
*The writing style. Eh it was kind of repetitive. But it was something I could read through really really fast...


The thing that I really liked about this book is that Juliette kept thinking that she was a monster but in reality, she shouldn't hate on herself because it wasn't her fault...

Okay, so while I was reading the parts with Warner, I was like "okay, sixty year old crazy insane man who wants power..." and then he's like "I'm 19." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 19!!??!!?? I was imagining this really old guy with white hair and a warped brain and he goes "I'm nineteen." I legit must have skipped the description of Warner...

Okay, while I was reading the book, I legit saved tons of quotes that were beautiful or something that I needed to share so... here goes.

"I always wonder about raindrops. I wonder how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap on their doors. I am a raindrop." -Page 5

"I'm nineteen, by the way." -Page 126 WOWOWOWOW Who just says that???

"'H-how could you possibly care about someone... like me?' I'm barely breathing, nervous and petrified but somehow staring at his lips, studying the shape, counting the drops of water tumbling over the hills and valleys of his mouth. 'Because I'm in love with you.'"-Page 173 TOO BEAUTIFUL FOR MEEEEEE

"'How old are you?' 'I'll be eleven next year.' I grin. 'So you're ten years old?' He crosses his arm. Frowns. 'I'll be twelve in two years.' I think I already love this kid." -Page 214 OMGGGG I love James too! 

So there you have it! My honest opinion and review on Shatter Me. Now excuse me while I hunt for the next book.

I would recommend this book to fantasy romance lovers :D

Main Character: Juliette
Sidekick(s): Adam, James, Kenji?, etc
Villain(s): Warner, etc
Fantasy Elements: This book is all fanatic and awesome with fantasy characters and abilities.

Comments